What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

Great stuff Joe!! I found some King Arthur Bread Flour in the store a couple of days ago. I made bread sticks with it last night. At first I thought I had completely messed up as they felt like play dough.
After baking them, however, turned out they were very good. Crusty on the outside and when I broke them open they were nice and soft on the inside but not all fluffy... just the right amount of density.
I was thinking of making a French loaf today to make into garlic bread tonight.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

You can make a baguette and cut in half to make your garlic bread. I've done that before. My Italian Bread recipe makes excellent garlic bread. i just shape it into a smaller and longer free form loaf.
I've never bought KA flour. Too expensive for me at $4.50 per 5# bag. I buy Montana Sapphire in 25# bags for $14.50.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Started baking bread for Easter. 1-1/2# loaves in front and 1# loaves in the back row (I don't have enough of the bigger pans, so I used the smaller ones). This is white bread for toast. There will be 18 adults for brunch, so I have a few more loaves to make. these will be frozen once they get to room temp, and I'll pull them out early Easter morning for the 11:00 brunch.

WhiteBread040409.jpg

FryBoy

Joe, your bread looks great!

Two questions -- how the hell big is your oven? And is it convection?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Joe, your bread looks great!

Two questions -- how the hell big is your oven? And is it convection?

My oven is a standard 30" gas range. We bought it last summer when the other one gave up the ghost. When I learned that the convection cooking chamber was smaller than the standard oven (the convection fan is INSIDE the oven), I opted to just go with the standard so I could use 3/4 size baking sheets. I put all five of those bread pans in the oven and the smaller loaves were done in 22 minutes, and the larger loaves were done in 30 minutes. I check them with a digital probe to determine the internal temp of 200F.

It's not about how big your tool is, it's about how you use it!

P1000962.jpg

FryBoy

DW has the cold I got rid of last week, and decided she wanted another Buttermilk Pound Cake to soothe her weary soul, so I obliged.

Here's the recipe:

BUTTERMILK POUND CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease one 9 or 10 inch Bundt pan.

2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until well creamed,
about 4 to 5 minutes.

4. Add the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.

5. Stir in the lemon and the vanilla extracts.

6. Gently mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/3 of the buttermilk;
repeat until all the flour and buttermilk have been added; mix
only until blended, and do not over mix.

7. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

8. Bake in preheated oven for about 60 to 90 minutes, depending
on your oven and pan; check cake after 60 minutes; cake is done
when it begins to pull away from the side of the pan
Do not over bake or cake will be dry!

9. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack
and cool completely.

505215739_vUfyw-L.jpg

One caution about this recipe -- it says to bake for 90 minutes, but be sure to check it after 60. My oven is pretty well calibrated, and I've found it's done in about 70 minutes. When it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, take it out of the oven. Much longer and it will be dry.

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Beautiful pound cake, FB. Got any strawberries and whipped cream?

And YES, all five bread pans fit on one shelf. The shelf is 23-1/2" wide x 18" deep.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I think I'll make some cinnamon rolls today. DD is coming over and we're all going to get her registered for her bridal shower at the major stores. She asked me to come along to outfit the kitchen...I'm deeply moved (sniff, sniff). At least I'm good for something besides just being a sperm donor.:applause:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter

Thats a lot of baking Suzie. I might be baking some bread later.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Made 4 loaves of Buttertop Honey Whole Wheat for Easter...

P1010624.jpg

and two loaves of 100% Whole Wheat, which turned out superb. The crumb is soft and open with a delicious flavor. I posted the recipe in the bread forum and on my website.

P1010627.jpg

P1010629.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I actually baked these last night, but didn't get around to taking pics until this morning. When I got up I saw that half of the cookies were gone, as well as a few Hot Cross Buns. Obviously they went home with my daughter. She was still hanging around talking to her mother when I went to bed at 11 p.m.. Oh, well, that's why I bake.

P1010636.jpg

P1010637.jpg

I have two loaves of Challah bread that will be going in the oven in 30 minutes, and the dough for my Easter Bread is almost ready to be punched down and shaped. More pictures to follow later.

smoke king

Banned
Wow! I love the pictures! I think all of you could make a decent living as Food Stylists!

I don't know what to bake, but its T-minus 15 hours until Easter and the pressure is on!! Its OK, I do my best work in the middle of the night!

BTW-Joe, those cookies look vaugely familiar....do I detect Honey Bunches of Oats?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to make a pecan pie and a chocolate cheesecake for tomorrow.

And since we're all getting so good at picture posting...I'll get some up soon!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wow! I love the pictures! I think all of you could make a decent living as Food Stylists!

I don't know what to bake, but its T-minus 15 hours until Easter and the pressure is on!! Its OK, I do my best work in the middle of the night!

BTW-Joe, those cookies look vaugely familiar....do I detect Honey Bunches of Oats?
Yup! This box was the ones with peaches. I change around because I sometimes eat it for breakfast as well.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The Easter baking is finally completed. Challah and Easter Bread. Once they've cooled I'll put them in the basket with the other breads and take them to the church at 1:00 for the traditional blessing of the food. For those not familiar with this practice, many Slavak and Polish (and other Eastern European) Catholics have the first foods they eat on Easter morning, blessed by the priest. It's a communal ceremony and the church smells wonderful with all the fresh breads, pastries, fruits, vegetables, horse radish roots and various smoked and fresh meats. We even take the coffee, tea and juices, so that the entire first meal is blessed. Here's a link with a brief description of the tradition.

Since we are only supplying the bread for the Easter brunch which will have 18 people at my SIL's house, the other foods will be blessed by those family members bringing their share.

Challah-2-041109.jpg

P1010645.jpg

suziquzie

Burger buns today. I have some 8 grain mix I want to try in them.
Kids are gonna HATE it....
muhahhahhahahhaaaaa EVIL MOM STRIKES AGAIN!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You are a mean Mommy. How dare you attempt to inflict good health and nutrition on your children? I'm certain it's just a matter of time before you are visited my the Children's Services worker to answer to these charges. If I were you I would just clean out the bank account and leave town while you still have time.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I made a batch of 100% Whole Wheat Bread and added 1/4 C of 10-grain cereal to the mix. I also egg washed the top of the bread and dusted it with more of the 10-grain cereal. Came out delicious! I had one of the rolls for lunch today. Remember, fiber is our friend as we age. We get grumpy when we don't have enough fiber in our diet.

10-GrainWholeWheat.jpg

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

George Greenstein has a fun recipe using cereal like that. He used Kashi.

homecook

I made a loaf of JoeV's rye bread. I'll post pics later.
It may not look like much (I ran out of eggs to do the egg wash) but the taste was amazing!!!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

homecook

I posted a pic of my loaf of rye bread I baked yesterday. I forgot when you edit it doesn't bump up the thread. lol The pic is above in my previous post.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

I started a batch of Jewish Rye today. The sourdough rises more slowly, but i'll try to get some pictures if I have time.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I made a loaf of JoeV's rye bread. I'll post pics later.
It may not look like much (I ran out of eggs to do the egg wash) but the taste was amazing!!!!!
Looks good to me. As a matter of fact, I had two slices of that this morning with my eggs.

I have a double batch of sandwich buns and two loaves of Italian on first prove. I'm baking the Italian in loaf pans so we can have sandwich style slices for the toaster. The free form loaf slices get lost in the toaster and have to be picked out, which makes the DW less than fun to be around when that happens. Concessions, concessions....:whistling:

homecook

Looks good to me. As a matter of fact, I had two slices of that this morning with my eggs.

I have a double batch of sandwich buns and two loaves of Italian on first prove. I'm baking the Italian in loaf pans so we can have sandwich style slices for the toaster. The free form loaf slices get lost in the toaster and have to be picked out, which makes the DW less than fun to be around when that happens. Concessions, concessions....:whistling:

Thanks Joe! Practice makes perfect. Dh and ds are sure enjoying my attempts.....that's all that matters lol

homecook

I don't know what got into me this morning but I baked two loaves of Italian bread. It's only 80 degrees here!.....what was I thinking?? It will go good with the spaghetti leftovers this weekend for my dh and ds.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.