Ham Balls

Johnny West

These just went down, a double batch. My brother and brother-in-law are coming to visit and Mike requested mom's ham balls and Funeral Potatoes. I'm still debating the potatoes.

My mom always made these and she got the recipe from the sheriff's wife, a recipe that's been in the family for over 50 years.

Grandma Jean's Ham Balls

1 pound ground smoked ham
1 1/2 pound ground lean pork
2 cups cracker crumbs (I use Progresso
Plain Bread Crumbs)
2 eggs
1 cup of milk

Sauce-:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp dry yellow mustard

Combine meat, eggs, milk and cracker crumbs and make into balls. (about the size of a golf ball or a little bigger if you like). Bring sauce mixture to a boil before pouring over the ham balls. Bake 1 1/2 hours, uncovered, in a 350° F oven. Turn balls occasionally after 45 minutes. Makes approximately 30 balls. (With that said, we bake about an hour and turn the balls after about 30 minutes. Pour the whole mixture over the balls, as well.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmMMMM! These are new to me, so I have a few questions!

How big are they? What do you serve them with, or are they appetizer-size on toothpicks?

Where do you find ground smoked ham? Do you get a smoked shoulder and grind it yourself?

These would be good football food in a crockpot I imagine, right Johnny?

Lee

P.S. Don't forget to take a picture when you make them!

Johnny West

The ham balls are about 1.5 inches in diameter or so, similar to an Italian meatball and are meant to be an entrée dish. I imagine you could make them smaller for cocktails or an appetizer, I just never thought of that. The recipe can be used for ham loaf, too.

I buy a smoked ham and a pork butt and grind it myself with a Kitchen Aid and meat grinder attachement. I got a real nice spiral cut ham on sale at the commissary the other day as well as cryovac acked bugg butt. I cut what I needed for a double recipe and the rest went in the freezer. After the balls were made they went in the freezer, too. When my brother comes all I have to do is get them out and put in the oven to heat up (or crockpot). I had enough butt leftover to do a pulled pork and ham for Christmas. I never got any pictures yesterday but here is one from the last time I made them.

file_7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like a light glaze, which I like.

What do you serve them with?

Lee

Johnny West

The glaze is quite tasty and simple to make.

I make a thing called Funeral Potatoes which my son calls Mormon Potatoes. Any side you want would be fine. I think baked squash and cranberries would be perfect. About the only time my mother made these was during the holiday's through Easter. I make there for special occassions and my visiting brother requested I make them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mouth-watering!

What did your brother think about your recreation of your Mom's dinner?

Lee

Johnny West

Mouth-watering!

What did your brother think about your recreation of your Mom's dinner?

Lee

They all loved everything and was glad I got to serve some of my canned goods thatIi never seem to remember to get out. As I remember, my mother never made the funeral potatoes but she did make scolloped potatoes, especially with leftovever ham in it. The funeral potatoes were something my brother found years ago and we all like them. I tell you what, I'm about done with them for a year or more. They are too rich and fattening for me. I'd rather have a baked potato or oven roasted potatoes.