Spicy Black Bean Soup

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Spicy Black Bean Soup

1# Thick sliced lean bacon, Mine was smoked.
2 Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce
1 Generous bunch of Cilantro
1 Fresh lime
2 Medium sized, or 1 large, chopped red onion.
1 Green Bell Pepper Chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
2 1# bags of black beans
2 Quarts of fat free low sodium Chicken stock
4 Large plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
6 Garlic cloves, or to taste
1 Tbsp liquid Hickory smoke
½ Cup Parmesan cheese shredded (I fresh shred it off the hard cheese)
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

I soaked my beans over night, dumped them in a colander and rinsed thoroughly. I have seen this point debated before, you can put the beans in dry and simmer longer. I did not do it that way.

Cut the bacon up in about ¼ to 1/8” strips going the long way down the strip of bacon.

Start browning the bacon in a large heavy fry pan. As it starts to render add the onions, green and red peppers and garlic.

Add Kosher salt and pepper to taste.

Keep turning it and cook till the onions start to get translucent. Transfer the whole thing to a stock pot. Add the Chicken stock, chopped chipotles, chop most of the bunch of cilantro and add to the pot, Add the tomatoes. Add the Tbsp of liquid smoke. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the pot. Bring to a boil and then educe and simmer for three hours or so.

Scoop out about ½ of the solids and put in a tallish bowl and puree with a stick blender. Alternatively use the Food processor or your blender. Put that back in the pot, ad the Parmesan. Mix it all up good and try some. If you want more bang, add more chipotle.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Gosh, Adillo, I love this soup but my dang food allergies make me live off of my memories. Thanks for posting it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
DW has been playing around with black bean soup lately, I will surely show her this recipe!
Thanks!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
icon1.gif

Actually, I thought of the Ham hocks first, I already had the bacon.

The liquid smoke did a lot for it.