Looking for pork loin info

chowhound

The local store has pork loins on sale for 1.69/lb. I've never boughten or cooked a pork loin, but I've sure seen all the great pics and recipes here. So what exactly is a pork loin? Is is what loin chops are cut from? I'm not sure if there are different loin sections in a pig, or a "false" loin, like how they call some cuts ribs when they aren't. Leave it to the local store to substitute something to the unsuspecting buyer like me... They look like those Hormel pork loins in the cryovac seal, only much larger. Maybe 5-6" at the large end and 20" long. I was thinking of buying one, slicing part of it for chops and then grilling what's left. I just don't want a crappy, tough piece of meat and am not sure what to look for so I'm not taken.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chow, the whole pork loins I buy are one of the best values around! Typically, they weigh about 6 pounds, so I cut them in thirds and Foodsaver two of the hunks.

Pork loin is lean and tender, and you really can't mess it up unless you cook it too long and dry it out. I like to take it to 135 internal temp (no more than 140, tops!).

It's great roasted or grilled or chunked up in stews or chilis.

Ol'Blue has a fantastic, easy and delicious recipe for Melt in your Mouth Pork Loin, roasted in the Dutch Oven.

Get one - you won't regret it!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The local store has pork loins on sale for 1.69/lb. I've never boughten or cooked a pork loin, but I've sure seen all the great pics and recipes here. So what exactly is a pork loin? Is is what loin chops are cut from? I'm not sure if there are different loin sections in a pig, or a "false" loin, like how they call some cuts ribs when they aren't. Leave it to the local store to substitute something to the unsuspecting buyer like me... They look like those Hormel pork loins in the cryovac seal, only much larger. Maybe 5-6" at the large end and 20" long. I was thinking of buying one, slicing part of it for chops and then grilling what's left. I just don't want a crappy, tough piece of meat and am not sure what to look for so I'm not taken.

I prefer the pork tenderloins (long, somewhat skinny, usually packed two to a pack in cryovac) over the much larger pork loins. I just think they are much more tender and taste better. I bought a pack at Sam's the other day (two 2-packs, so 4 tenderloins) for $14. I thought that was a pretty good deal. They're good on the grill or pan-seared.

Now that I see QSis's reply, maybe I have never cooked pork loin correctly :(.

chowhound

Thanks for the reply, Lee.

So these can also be used as a boneless pork chop?
Is the texture similar, if not the same?

chowhound

Ahhh.... thanks Cooksie. So there are tenderloins, too....
I'll bet those are the smaller ones I've seen.

bowlingshirt

I was thinking of buying one, slicing part of it for chops .

That's what I've done in the past...good chops for cheap, no doubt.

I prefer the pork tenderloins (long, somewhat skinny, usually packed two to a pack in cryovac) over the much larger pork loins. I just think they are much more tender and taste better. I bought a pack at Sam's the other day (two 2-packs, so 4 tenderloins) for $14. I thought that was a pretty good deal. They're good on the grill or pan-seared.

I like making kabobs with tenderloin chunks, myself.

chowhound

mmm, that looks good. Thanks for the link.
And thanks for the info. I'm going to get one. I just need to find out if they were previously frozen. Unless re-freezing them wouldn't hurt because they are sealed...

chowhound

Thanks, BS.
In light of my recent pork chop fiasco, this does seem like a good way to get some decent chops for cheap.

High Cheese

Saucier
I like to cook them on the grill and baste with whatever I came up with that night. Rest and cut into medallions. It will still look pink even though it's completely cooked.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm cooking a loin roast tonight. It's about 2.7 lb. with a thin fat layer on one side. I use the JOC recipe, and mix together herbs, and S&P in 1T olive oil, then rub it all over. I heated the oven to 500 and roasted 10 min., then turned the oven to 250. I will roast until the internal temp reaches 150.

Last time I made it, it was one of the most succulent, delicious pieces of pork I've ever eaten. I'm hoping for the same result tonight!

chowhound

Rob, is that labled loin or tenderloin? Or did you buy it already cut?
These ones that my store has are a lot more than 2.7 lbs. That's why I was trying to narrow down if I'm buying a different cut than what I usually see posted here.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
There is a big difference between the Loin and the Tenderloin. The tenderloin is much smaller and is akin to the Filet Mignon. It’s a small muscle, not used for heavy work and is tender, near the backbone. The Pork Loin gets cut from inside the ribs (Baby Backs from the top, and Spares from the bottom). It’s much the same as the ribeye roast that comes off of the beef back ribs. If you left the ribs in, you could cut ribs chops or make a crown roast. But if you cut the loin out, you have back ribs and then a hunk of meat you can cut into steaks.

I buy whole loins all the time and cut them into thick chops and then freeze them. The only downside to them is that they are VERY lean and can EASILY get dry and tough on you, so you must be careful in your cooking. Go fast and hot, and only to a temp of (max) 140 as Qsis says. My only complaint I’ve ever had from this cut is that it is NOT forgiving and can quickly dry out on you. But, be diligent and fast, and you have a great bit of meat.

Alternatively, you can treat it like octopus with the 2 Minute or 2 Hour approach. If you can’t cook it fast, then pound it thin and then braise it long and slow. It will get so tender that only a fork is needed to cut it.

When you cut your own loin, you’ll get lots of chops, and can use one end of the loin for chunks (stew, soup, stir-fry, etc), and the other for a whole roast. Grilling or smoking a loin roast is excellent. Just watch your temps (140 tops, then pull and foil)

Here are two ways I have used the loin. The first link shows me with a whole loin and cutting it down. The second is pounding the chop thin, frying, and then braising in gravy.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7223

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8921

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the response, Keltin.
Are they any less forgiving than your typical pork chop?

Yes, definitely LESS forgiving than a bone in Center Cut Chop.

The Center Cut Chops, or even Pork Steaks, have a ton of fat marbling that makes them forgiving. The Loin Chops are very lean. In fact, you can’t see any discernable fat marbling in them at all. Which means less fat that leads to faster drying. So that is your cue to cook them fast and hot like a steak, and to a medium temp. Unless you plan to braise.

But this is such a nice cut of meat, I rarely braise other than the smothered in gravy recipe. It’s perfect for fast and hot cooks. Chunks make wonderful stir-fry. And frying this cut (chunks or whole) is awesome. But again, it is far less forgiving that bone-in center cut chops and other cuts of pork.

Still, don’t let that turn you off from this cut. You can get great deals on a whole loin (they actually have a 200% mark-up or more for loin chops when they cut them in-house), and using loin chops means you’re not going to be standing over it for hours.

Treat it like a good ribeye steak (except with pork flavor in mind) and you’ll be fine.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Rob, is that labled loin or tenderloin? Or did you buy it already cut?
These ones that my store has are a lot more than 2.7 lbs. That's why I was trying to narrow down if I'm buying a different cut than what I usually see posted here.

They label it as a pork loin roast. I didn't take pictures of this one, but you can see the previous one I did uncooked, cooked, and sliced in this thread:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8293

The one I had last night wasn't as juicy as I had liked. The previous one had an obvious transition from the very white meat at one end to the pinker meat at the other end. I'm convinced that it's that pinker meat that makes the roast more tender and juicy, but I have no idea how to determine the white meat to pink meat ratio when the roast is wrapped up in the store...

Jeff G.

I'm cooking a loin roast tonight. It's about 2.7 lb. with a thin fat layer on one side. I use the JOC recipe, and mix together herbs, and S&P in 1T olive oil, then rub it all over. I heated the oven to 500 and roasted 10 min., then turned the oven to 250. I will roast until the internal temp reaches 150.

Last time I made it, it was one of the most succulent, delicious pieces of pork I've ever eaten. I'm hoping for the same result tonight!

Yep.. that's the way to cook them. I do this, have a meal of roast pork and slice the leftovers down for sandwiches. Cheaper than lunch meat/deli meats and lower in fat.

chowhound

Well I bought that bad boy today. The darn thing is almost as long as my arm and I had to curl it to get it into my fridge. So I'll be set in pork for a while.
I'll cut a small roast from the narrow end for the grill and one from the bigger end for the oven. The rest I'll slice into chops... or medallions... whatever it's called ;^)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
mmm, that looks good. Thanks for the link.
And thanks for the info. I'm going to get one. I just need to find out if they were previously frozen. Unless re-freezing them wouldn't hurt because they are sealed...
i think refrezzing raw meat has more to due with the breaking down of the tissue during the freezing, thawing and then refreezing process that makes it dangerous and dosen't matter how it is sealed it will still be the same.

chowhound

Just finished cutting it up and getting a roast going in the oven.
That's a lotta meat for 15 bucks.

Attachments

• pork loin1.jpg
    pork loin1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 135
  • pork loin2.jpg
    pork loin2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 137

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now we had pork loin tonight for dinner and as Lee said take it to an internal temp of 140-145 in the oven at about 350 deg. Now once there remove it and cover it with tin foil and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Now I slice it down and get a good moist piece of meat that is well done. I might add if you take it to 160 deg as the food cops say it isn't fit as it is like eating leather. I will hit about 155 to 160 degrees while resting. I like to use a rub on mine or even a marinate like an Italian dressing for example. I also slice up a large onion into about 1/4" rings that I line the roasting pan with then lay the loin on to cook. I also make a gravy with mine but it really isn't necessary if not over cooked as it is a pretty juicy piece of meat.

I've never cut it into chops as that seems to be a waste to me as if you don't eat it all it makes great sandwiches also.

chowhound

what time should i be there for dinner? and what shall i bring?

Awww, you just missed it... next time.

thanks for the temps, Joe. I had the food police in mind tonight as I cooked a roast. Something was telling me 140, but the method I used still left me with a tender roast. I was cooking more by time than anything, though I did check the temp, but next time I'll either lower the oven or take it out sooner and compare the difference.

I always try to buy bulk, Q, but this time I hit the nail on the head. It makes up for those crappy chops I recently purchased.

Love2"Q"

those pork loin roasts are one of the best things to grill ...
put a nice rub on it .. then put a good sear and then let it cook ...
makes for great leftovers ..