Breezy Thai Stir Fry With Chicken, Broccoli, and Mushrooms

I threw this together last night, which is based on a recipe from the New York Times. I changed it up the wazoo, so it's MINE, all MINE now - mua ha ha ha ha. .. ..

Okay - back to reality. Had 1/4 of Sunday's cooked roaster chicken left, so picked off the meat & made this. It was scarfed up like nobody's business, so guess it's a keeper. Enjoy.

Breezy Thai Stir Fry With Chicken, Broccoli, and Mushrooms

A couple of dollops of vegetable oil

3-4 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
About an inch of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
Florets from one head of broccoli, cut into 1” x 2” pieces
8 ounces button mushrooms, rinsed, trimmed, and sliced (or one 8-oz. package of pre-sliced button mushrooms)
Approx. 3-4 cups cooked diced chicken (I used ¼ of a cooked 6# roasting chicken)
1 cup water (or chicken broth if you happen to have an open carton in the fridge)
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 heaping tablespoon Chili-Garlic Sauce
Juice from 1 lime
Chopped scallions (optional)
Put a large, deep skillet or wok over medium to medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add oil, swirl it around, and the ginger. Cook for a minute, stirring constantly, then add the broccoli & mushrooms, continuing to stir constantly until mushrooms release their moisture and broccoli is bright green and beginning to brown a little. (Just a LITTLE brown, I say!)
Add 1 cup of water or broth, chopped garlic, & chicken. Stir and cook until liquid has reduced down to your preference and broccoli is almost tender. Stir in fish sauce, Chili-Garlic Sauce, & lime juice. Serve over cooked rice (Basmati or Jasmine are nice) garnished with chopped scallions if desired.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That sounds very good. I'm going to have to branch out and try fish sauce one of these days.

Do you ever use peanut oil instead of vegetable oil for stir frys?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Sounds very good. The fish just adds that certain something to a dish. My mother uses a vegetarian fish sauce available in a lot of stores because she is allergic to all shell fish. It seems to be alright as well

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

That sounds very good. I'm going to have to branch out and try fish sauce one of these days.

Do you ever use peanut oil instead of vegetable oil for stir frys?

No, I don't often use peanut oil - pricey stuff for no good reason. While it is commonly used for it's high smoking point, outside of commercial cooking, I've never found it's higher price worth it. Regular veggie oils - canola, sunflower, mixed - have worked just fine for me, & I stir-fry a LOT.

Fish sauce is GREAT to have on hand, & it lasts FOREVER!!! I'm just down to the end of a large bottle that's been in my fridge for around 4 years. It's not "fishy"; just has a taste of it's own. And don't go by it's smell - totally different from the flavor, which really does scream THAI in any dish it's added to. Worth having on hand. Once opened, in the fridge it will never go bad. Trust me. :)

Sounds very good. The fish just adds that certain something to a dish. My mother uses a vegetarian fish sauce available in a lot of stores because she is allergic to all shell fish. It seems to be alright as well

Actually, there really isn't any need whatsoever for your mom to avoid authentic "fish sauce". It's made from fermented small fish, like anchovies. There's NO shellfish in it whatsoever. (And you can easily check this via the ingredients list._

I think you & your mom are confusing "Fish Sauce" with "Oyster Sauce", which can contain shellfish (although common commercial varieties usually don't). Again - check the ingredients list.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yup you are right. I am not awake yet. Working nights and just got up. Lol

Note to self: consume much more caffeine before posting. Lol