$399.00/lb.~~

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
(dried morels)-- @ my 1 grocery, took pix, 'cept my pc & websites won't sync-- $399.00-- unheard of, damn-- given, they're dry/bulk-- still!! that's a new piece of furniture 4 me, scads of items--

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
online is the only reasonable cost option - even then morels are 120-150 $/lb
of course, 3-4 ounces fills a mayo jar . . .

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
don't take this for gospel - it's from long ago....

(a) morels do not cultivate 'easily' / commercially - hence they are only harvested from the wild = time/manpower/etc.
(b) mushrooms are roughly 90% water by weight - so one ounce of dried stuff is a pound of 'fresh'
(c) they taste good (g)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I fantasize about getting a truffle dog and tromping around Europe, hunting that funqi, having fun and making lots of money while actually getting to TASTE one of the damned things!

Lee

Attachments

• truffle.jpg
    truffle.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 163

Johnny West

I think a beagle, Lab, or ESS would be easy to train to be truffle dogs. Buy a couple of truffles and train them to retrieve a stock with the truffles inside; play hide and seek with the sock. It's how they train drug and bomb dogs.

Fresh chanterelles are $15 a pound here, at present.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I went to NYC in 2004, and could have spent the whole weekend roaming around Chelsea Market.

Here are some truffle prices there, 14 years ago.

Lee

Attachments

• 30 Chelsea Market 2, Truffles.JPG
    30 Chelsea Market 2, Truffles.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 157

Dogboa

I fantasize about getting a truffle dog and tromping around Europe, hunting that funqi, having fun and making lots of money while actually getting to TASTE one of the damned things!

Lee

Imagine how much that would be if it were white.