ISO chilli rellaño

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
.closest thing I've got, Andy...........

Chilies Rellenos Pie
14 oz. Canned green chilies (2 cans)
1 lb. Monterrey Jack cheese, sliced
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, sliced
4 Teaspoon Whole wheat flour
1 Cup Evaporated milk
1 Cup Sour cream
4 Eggs
1 Cup Cooked chicken or turkey, diced
2 Cup Mild salsa
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cut chilies open and line a 9x13−inch baking dish with them. Layer both
cheeses evenly over chilies. Add any remaining chilies over the cheese layer.
Mix the flour with a small amount of the milk; using a wire whisk, make a
smooth paste. Mix in the remaining milk and sour cream. Beat in the eggs,
one at a time, and add the diced meat.
Pour mixture over chilies and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F. Pour
salsa over top and bake an additional 15 minutes. Makes 8 or 10 servings.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Recipe.

I have done a bit of research as well.

It seems that which cheese is used makes a big difference.

Every time I am in the store, I hear those poblanos calling me.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, do you want to do the traditional stuffed, coat in batter, and fry version?

I LOVE those, but refuse to make them! I've been trying to find a decent oven-baked version.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We used a recipe once where you made the traditional whipped egg white/yolk batter and fried, except it was just spooned over the chiles on a baking sheet and then baked. It was pretty good, obviously not as good as fried, but you didn't get the calories and fat from frying, nor did you have the mess of frying. I thought it was the one that Dogboa posted, but obviously not, and unfortunately I can't remember where else we might have gotten that recipe/technique.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Lee,

No, ours was egg whites whipped to stiff peaks, probably with salt and cream of tartar, with the beaten egg yolks and a bit of flour folded in. It wasn't a batter at all. I guess I should have not used the word batter, and written "frosted" instead of "spooned over" because it was more of a meringue/souffle-type consistency. There was some run-off, probably due to the heat melting it a bit before it started to cook, but nothing at all like yours. I wish I could remember where I got the recipe but I can't. Usually, things like that will pop up from somewhere deep in my brain after it's been in the back of my mind for a bit but not this time so far.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
One of the recipes that I read (I will try to find it) called for separating the yolk and white, whipping the whites to a froth and folding in the yolks to make a really nice soft fluffy batter.

They also called for fire roasting the chilies then peeling the outer layer of skin. cleaning the pepper put the cheese inside and roll in the fluffy batter and then very lightly fry.

That seems reminiscent of the better ones I have had.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Dogboa found a way to roast peppers to get the skin off but still keep the structural integrity of the pepper. He uses 1 of the handheld propane torches you can buy at the big box hardware stores in the plumbing aisles, which he also uses to start the fire in his charcoal chimney. He lays them on the grill grates to do it. You don't use as much heat as you would under the broiler or even on the stove to blacken the skin so it stays almost as firm as an unskinned pepper.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dogboa found a way to roast peppers to get the skin off but still keep the structural integrity of the pepper. He uses 1 of the handheld propane torches you can buy at the big box hardware stores in the plumbing aisles, which he also uses to start the fire in his charcoal chimney. He lays them on the grill grates to do it. You don't use as much heat as you would under the broiler or even on the stove to blacken the skin so it stays almost as firm as an unskinned pepper.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! :a1:

Whenever I roast the poblanos enough to get the skins off, the freaking peppers rip!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
VeraBlue once posted slowly turning peppers inna gas flame. The torch would also work. I wonder about blanching them.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I think blanching would do the same as putting them under the broiler.

After he discovered the torch method, I've used my little kitchen torch and it works so-so. The bigger handheld torch works much better and faster.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yes, that's just the way I love to eat them - I just don't want to futz around making them.

So, Cooksie, are you going to be in the Boston area any time? You can stay at my house and make those for me!

:brows:

Lee

Sounds like fun! All this has made me start thinking about making some tamales. I think I'm going to try some chicken green chile tamales.

Dogboa

Sounds like fun! All this has made me start thinking about making some tamales. I think I'm going to try some chicken green chile tamales.

I got a new cookbook a week ago, after reading some reviews about it. "The Tex-Mex cookbook. The first thing I made from it were chicken tamales with a red sauce that used fresh toasted and ground ancho chilis. I went into a Supermarcado to see if they made fresh masa dough. They did not but I was introduced to a Mexican woman that makes tamales every weekend. She agreed to sell me some fresh masa dough. I bought 2# of dough which was enough for about 24 tamales. A little green rice and the meal was complete. There were leftover tamales and rice for a couple days of breakfast/lunch.

picture.php

Johnny West

Masa Dough

INGREDIENTS

3 1/2 cups masa harina for tamales (20 ounces)
3 cups very hot water
1/2 pound lard
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup chicken stock

HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE

In a large bowl, stir the masa with the hot water until evenly moistened. Knead several times to make a smooth dough.

In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the lard with the butter at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the salt and baking powder and beat at medium-low speed until incorporated. With the machine on, add the masa in 4 batches, beating until smooth and scraping down the bowl occasionally. Pour in the stock in a steady stream and beat until the dough is fluffy and soft, about 2 minutes; it should have the consistency of thick corn bread batter. Refrigerate the tamale dough in the bowl for 30 minutes.

Return the bowl to the mixer and beat the dough at high speed for 1 minute before assembling the tamales.

MAKE AHEAD

The Tamale Dough can be covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 3 days.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tamale-dough-masa

I love tamales especially beef with the red sauce.