I'm an Onion Convert.

Derek

Banned
From now on I'm strictly going to use Spanish, vadillia, Shallots, scallions only from now on.

The normal onion doesn't have anywhere near what these onions taste like like in sauces, on dogs and whatever else you can think of.

What about you guys?

PanchoHambre

Onions were one of the foods I HATED as a kid (except in ring form from McD's) then all of a sudden one day I just craved them... never looked back

I like different onions for different things... I prefer red raw on salads or sammies... usually buy whatever is cheap though.

Derek

Banned
Onions were one of the foods I HATED as a kid (except in ring form from McD's) then all of a sudden one day I just craved them... never looked back

I like different onions for different things... I prefer red raw on salads or sammies... usually buy whatever is cheap though.
Red Raw's? Are they the sweet ones you can actually eat like an apple?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I really don't care for onions but I started cooking with them about a year ago and I must admit, they add a lot of flavor to cooked foods. I just used shallots for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they are quite nice.

Derek

Banned
I really don't care for onions but I started cooking with them about a year ago and I must admit, they add a lot of flavor to cooked foods. I just used shallots for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they are quite nice.
Yuppers, I know they do.

I normally put them on my pizza for a topping.

PanchoHambre

Red Raw's? Are they the sweet ones you can actually eat like an apple?
NOOO they are Tangy! I only use Red in Guac or on Salad... I usually cook with Yellow/Spanish never met an onion that I would eat like an apple ( I think good Vidalias are suppossed to be super sweet but what they sell as Vidalia here I am not so sure

homecook

I use onions in almost every thing I cook, that and garlic. I use red, shallots, scallions, yellow, Spanish, Vidalia, etc. I like the red raw on my salads also.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sweet, green and shallots are pretty much all I use anymore. I used to like all onions until I got a little older and now the hot ones don't sit very well with my stomach. I can't wait for the vidalias to hit the shelves.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I like the strong whites on dogs, red on beef, and sweet for fried rings and cooking. Scallions for soups and toppings, and shallots for sautés.

Derek

Banned
I like the strong whites on dogs, red on beef, and sweet for fried rings and cooking. Scallions for soups and toppings, and shallots for sautés.
Ok, The yellows I'm familiar with sense they go in my dr bbq sauce, But what do raw reds look like?

Derek

Banned
Sweet, green and shallots are pretty much all I use anymore. I used to like all onions until I got a little older and now the hot ones don't sit very well with my stomach. I can't wait for the vidalias to hit the shelves.
Your very lucky Mama, We have to wait for the season to get ours unless we want to PAY high price for them.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's these. More purple than red....but they are called reds. Go figure.

redonion.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
hey derek in michigan they call them purple onions... same thing

they are great on salads as stated but i like them on pizza on use them most of the time because DW prefers them

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Your very lucky Mama, We have to wait for the season to get ours unless we want to PAY high price for them.

They're not in the store here either. You can't get them year-round. The season should start within the next couple of weeks.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Red and yellow onions here for most of my cooking needs.

I love green onions in most dishes too, particularly topping baked potatoes with a lot of butter and sour cream.
Also for Mexican dishes.

Derek

Banned
Red and yellow onions here for most of my cooking needs.

I love green onions in most dishes too, particularly topping baked potatoes with a lot of butter and sour cream.
Also for Mexican dishes.
Hi Sassy Stac, Try them on your pizza and dogs next time you will like the taste.

Derek

Banned
hey derek in michigan they call them purple onions... same thing

they are great on salads as stated but i like them on pizza on use them most of the time because DW prefers them
Hey Jeff, Am I weird because I can eat them like apples?

What I do I cut them like you cut them for onion rings and put them on a plate then eat the whole plate till its gone.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Jeff, Am I weird because I can eat them like apples?

Eating onions that way is very popular all across the world, especially in Mexico. In some spots, they even make a contest of it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrCCDP2-rk[/ame]

High Cheese

Saucier
You forgot chives.

I mainly use yellow/spanish onions, shallot, scallions, red onion, chive, white onion, vidalia. In that order. I use vidalias maybe once a year because I find their flavor way too sweet. Try doing a quick pickle to shallot or red onions as a burger or omelette topper.

chives.jpg

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
nothing like munching on a fresh green onion just out of the garden... not enough time for it to get strong... ham,cream cheese,spring onion...oh so yummy..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There are maui onions also my favorites when I can find them, which isn't often. There is also pearl onions as well.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
TEXAS ONION CASSEROLE

Four Large Sweet onions - sliced
One Bag potato chips - crushed
Two cups grated cheddar cheese

Layer the above three ingredients. Repeat layers again. Combine two cans cream of chicken soup with one-half cup milk. Pour over layers and top with crushed chips. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
=========

BAKED ONIONS

2 large yellow or white onions, peeled
2 T Tomato Juice
1 1/2 T Honey
1 T butter or margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika

Cut onions in half crosswise and place, cut side up, in a baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan on low until butter is melted; stir well. Pour over center of each onion half and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hardly a day goes by that I don't use an onion for one recipe or another, even if it doesn't call for it.