Pizza dough

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Somebody asked Craig for this a while back, but I don't think he ever saw it. We're having pizza tonight and I remembered when I was mixing the dough last night.

Makes two 12 inch ish pizzas.

You can make this with all AP flour, but we like it best when using the combo.

3/4 cup warm water
1 packet yeast or 2-1/4 tsp (not instant)
1/2 tsp sugar
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for bench
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp fine corn meal
2 Tbsp EVOO plus extra for the bowl

In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup water, the sugar and yeast, stir to mix. Let sit for a few minutes until it starts to bubble up.

In a large bowl, mix flours, salt and corn meal. Add the yeast mixture, remaining water and olive oil. Mix well, then knead for about 8 minutes until dough is smooth and silky. Add additional flour if dough is too sticky, but dough should remain pretty soft and pliable. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, turning dough to coat so it doesn't form a crust. Cover and let rise for 2 hours. Punch dough down, re-cover and place dough in refrigerator overnight or up to 3 days.

When ready to use, remove from refrigerator, divide and form into balls. Cover with oiled (or Pam sprayed) plastic wrap and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Shape into rounds using a combo of hand shaping and rolling pin.

You can spread coarse corn meal on a peel or do as I usually do and place the rounds on lightly Pam sprayed pieces of parchment, which I then use to flip the dough onto the grill, then carefully peel the parchment off.

We cook them on the grill using wood or charcoal, or a combo. You need to precook them on 1 side first until the crust gets light golden brown and starts to firm up, then place your toppings on the cooked side. Then back on the grill until cheese melts (toppings need to be cooked).

You can also cook on the stove using a large griddle or flat top. Finish in the oven.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Karen! I really love homemade pizzas on the grill!

Lee

Elephant

I want to highlight one VERY important part, because a lot of people, when they want to make a pizza at home, expect a good outcome with literally no time invensted in the dough.
The dough, same goes for bread or literally anything that contains flour and needs to be baked, is crucial.
And i need to highlight this again because, as i already said it is very important: IT IS CRUCIAL.

What ever recipe you follow, completely disregarding the wanted outcome, you have to give your dough the right amount of time to rest. If you don't let your dough rest for hours and hours and as @medtran49 allready said even up to days, what ever you want to do with your dough, it will turn out to be garbage.
And i dont mean this in a bad or mean way, but thats literally where it will go or end up.

Summed up: Dough needs time. Good dough needs even more time.