Duck and Rice Soup

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I roasted a duck for my father when he was visiting, and we only ate half of it.

I adapted the stock recipe below from one on Epicurious. Took a long time, but really not much work.

Looking forward to having this for lunches this coming week.

Lee

For the Duck Stock

· Carcass and bones of roasted duck
· Vegetable oil, for coating
· Kosher salt
· 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
· 1 large carrot, sliced
· 2 celery stalks, chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1/2 ounce (about 1 handful) dried mushrooms (any kind)
· 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
· 3 bay leaves
· 1 large sprig rosemary
· 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
· 10 fresh sage leaves, chopped
· 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Preparation

1. Coat the carcass and bones with oil. Salt them well and put in a large roasting pan. Put in the oven, turn on the oven to 400°F, and roast for about 1 hour, until well browned.
2. When the carcass is ready, remove it from the oven. Transfer it to a large stockpot and pour in cold water to cover everything by about 1 inch. Turn the heat to medium, bring to a bare simmer, and cook very gently for 2 to 8 hours. Do not let this boil.
3. Meanwhile, put the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in the roasting pan and stir to coat with the fat that has rendered from the duck bits or a little olive oil. Put the vegetables in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes, until browned.
4. When the vegetables are browned, pour about 4 cups water into the roasting pan and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
5. When the stock has simmered for at least 2 hours, add the vegetables, the liquid from the roasting pan, and all the remaining ingredients. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer.
6. Turn off the heat and strain the stock. Set up a fine-mesh sieve over another large pot. Line the sieve with a piece of plain paper towel or cheesecloth and ladle the stock through the sieve. Change the paper towel or rinse the cheesecloth once or twice. This step is vital to making a clear stock. Do not attempt to capture the last dregs of stock at the bottom of the pot, or you will have cloudy stock.
7. Your stock is now ready. Season to taste with salt, adding a little at a time. Skip the salting if you want to further concentrate flavors by simmering the strained stock for as long as you like. Check every 15 minutes or so to see if the flavor is as you want it.
8. Transfer the stock to jars, let cool, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 9 months. Alternatively, pressure can the stock and store for up to 1 year.

For the soup

Heat up stock. Add 1 chopped carrot and several sticks of chopped celery and one bay leaf. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add leftover duck meat, chopped, and pre-cooked rice (I used a mix of white and wild rice).

Season to taste.

Leftover duck carcass and bones

Duck soup 1, bones.JPG

Roasted bones

Duck soup 2, roasted bones.JPG

Chopped vegs. for stock

Duck soup 3, vegs.JPG

Roasted stock vegs.

Duck soup 4, roasted vegs.JPG

Duck Soup!

Duck soup 5, bowl.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

I love duck and will have to try this - I have a long island duck in the freezer. I miss duck hunting and the duck dinners we used to do.