Pepper eye

Lefty

Yank
I just finished cutting up a bunch of peppers for pepper steak, including a couple of hot ones. Well, I cleaned up and watching TV, when I got an itch in my eye, and you guessed it I rub my eye. OUCH $#$$%^%&&^&& I'm crying now. :bonk: If I have typos in this post its because I can't see 100% I just finished rinsing my eye out for the third time and still it burns. :oops: Don't try this at home.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Been there a couple of times myself and be very careful around the other half too. Parts of her are as sensitive as your eyes.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sorry but LOLOLOLOL

rubbergloves_Full.jpg

phreak

When I've surfed in water tainted with red tide, the water makes your eyes burn(very similar to pepper eye, I seem to get pepper eye everytime I use hot peppers). Using milk as an eye wash works for red tide eyes, and it works to calm the heat when eating hot food. I bet it would work for hot pepper eyes. :thumb:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Ohhhhhhh yeah. Hurts like hell! I think we have all been there. :shock::doh:

Nothing like scratching the ol senso-rocks

chowhound

Yep. Latex gloves. I keep a fifty pack sitting in my pantry for working with hot peppers. Especially when making up a bunch of ABTs, which can be kinds messy anyway.
Of course, the other night I was just cutting one jalapeno and didn't bother with the gloves..... yep, same thing you're experiencing, Lefty. It sure doesn't take much and you would think washing your hands would be enough.

GotGarlic

Yep. Latex gloves. I keep a fifty pack sitting in my pantry for working with hot peppers. Especially when making up a bunch of ABTs, which can be kinds messy anyway.
Of course, the other night I was just cutting one jalapeno and didn't bother with the gloves..... yep, same thing you're experiencing, Lefty. It sure doesn't take much and you would think washing your hands would be enough.

The problem is that the capsaicin is not water-soluble, so you actually have to wash with a dairy product - milk or sour cream would do it. Sounds weird, I know, but it's the same principle as drinking milk to cool down a too-hot bite.

Love2"Q"

i learned this the hard way ..
made about 3 dozen abts for a party ..
washed my hands at least 5 times ..
washed them again before i took out my contacts ..
took a shower them put my contacts back in ..
as soon as it touched my eye i dropped to my knees
in pain .. and it hurt so bad i couldnt open my eye to
get the contact out ..
my wife found this humorous for some reason ...

chowhound

What I don't understand, GG, is why washing your hands with dishwashing soap, which is supposed to cut grease and oil, won't cut the capsaicin oil... Heck, you use dish soap to help deskunk a dog, and it won't wash pepper oil away? I just don't get it.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito

Surrrrrrrrrrre you do! :rolleyes::poke::mrgreen: