fennel seed ...

Love2"Q"

or toasted fennel seed

what does it taste like .. i am making a dish this weekend
with it and i hve never used it before ..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It tastes like black licorice, and the seeds are STRONG!

If you don’t like the licorice taste, either cut back on the quantity, or cut them out completely. I blindly followed a recipe once for a pork loin that loaded it with fennel seed. I had no idea what fennel seed was. I tasted it after it was cooked…..I HATE licorice…….and I ended up giving the pork loin to the neighbors.

If you have ever tasted anise, it is very similar (if not identical) in flavor.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It has a sweet taste similar to anise and licorice. I use fennel seeds in my spaghetti sauce. It's also used as a seasoning in some sausage.

Love2"Q"

thanks guys .... i am looking to do a mario batalli recipe this weekend
and the recipe calls for fennel pollen .. but notes ground toasted fennel seeds will work .. i thought it was the licorice stuff ...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
It tastes like black licorice, and the seeds are STRONG!

If you don’t like the licorice taste, either cut back on the quantity, or cut them out completely. I blindly followed a recipe once for a pork loin that loaded it with fennel seed. I had no idea what fennel seed was. I tasted it after it was cooked…..I HATE licorice…….and I ended up giving the pork loin to the neighbors.

If you have ever tasted anise, it is very similar (if not identical) in flavor.

i dont even think i have an old jar of fennel seeds or anything fennel in my household...:yuk:

most italian sausages have them in them...whether they are hot,mild or sweet sausage.. and thats why i like brats..lol