Herb Butter!!!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I saw this on Ina Gartens show a year or two ago and looked it up. I made it about last year and let me tell ya folks..... Best butter EVER!!! :w00t2:

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced scallions (white and green parts)
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 loaves dense 7-grain or health bread, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • Side of smoked salmon, thinly sliced
Directions

For the herb butter, combine the butter, garlic, scallions, dill, parsley, juice juice, salt and pepper in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until mixed, but do not whip.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
It is very easy to make your own flavored butters... I made one using jalapenos, salt, cumin, and cilantro.... nice little mexican butter!

Get creative, specially when you have herbs leftover to use up.

The Tourist

Banned
My wife and SIL like garlic butter.

Is the flavor enhanced if we make this in a special way? For right now, they just whip garlic salt into traditional butter.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
One way I would try is roasting the garlic with a bit of evoo and a sprig of rosemary if handy. Wrap garlic, topped with evoo and rosemary in foil and roast at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Squish out the garlic pods and mash with butter. OR.... you can just mash up the garlic as is and spread on bread or what have you... NOW that is good!

I think I did a roasted garlic butter, using roasted garlic, butter, some black pepper, and parsley. Mixed together and roll in wax paper and chill.

The Tourist

Banned
Ooooh, my wife gets this recipe. Heck, it sounds good to me, and I can never get enough garlic.

I've even thought about carrying "something" for when I eat fast food burgers.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I made a new one, roasted garlic with rosemary, chicken stock, s&p, evoo. Squished out garlic into a stick of unsalted butter, chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh basil, s&p, the roasted garlic juices, and lemon. YUM!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Mav,when I make mine, I roll it up in wax paper, then either vac pac it or put it in a plastic container so that it can't absorb smells, and I have kept it up to six months in the freezer. I have at least 6 different varities on hand. I usually make the stuff when I have left over herbs that I don't see any future use for.....

Speaking of... I got some fresh chives, mint.... hmmmmmmmmm, maybe some garlic, I gotta go lay out some butter to make another batch!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Melt a pat of herbed butter on a grilled steak (are you listening, Mr. Steak Chowhound?) to make a good thing even better!

Lee

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Your welcome Mav!! And yes Qsis.. I agree! Compound butter is great on steak!

I also have an avacado I need to dispatch.... I'm thinking about making an avacado butter as well!!! Oh yeah!!!

AllenOK

Up at work, I make a "steak butter", that isn't that different from what Sushi posted. And yes, we slice a round of that and put it on tenderloin filet.

High Cheese

Saucier
Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Butter
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1-3 cloves minced garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder , adjust to taste
Fresh parsley, adjust to taste
Dried roasted red pepper, to taste (remove red pepper seeds)
----------
Garlic Butter
4 cloves of garlic
1 stick (1/4-pound) unsalted butter, softened

Mash to 4 cloves of garlic to a pulp, using a mortar and pestle, or put them through a garlic press. Blend the garlic into the butter. Use immediately or roll into a log using waxed paper. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
---------
Lemon Butter
1 Tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
---------
Lemon Parsley Butter
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and white pepper

Cream the butter, then add the salt, pepper and lemon juice. Wrap the parsley into a corner of a kitchen towel, twist and squeeze to thoroughly dry the parsley. Add the parsley to the butter mixture. Use immediately, refrigerate for use in 1-2 days.
---------
Tarragon Butter
1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves (blanch the leaves for 2 minutes in boiling water. Dry thoroughly)
Mix the whole tarragon leaveas with the butter. Chop the mixed butter and tarragon leaves and remix. This prevents the tarragon from turning dark. Roll into a log using plastic wrap. Use immediately or refrigerate for use in 1-2 days.
----------
1 cup red wine
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons concentrated beef or chicken stock
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Put the wine, chopped shallot and stock into a saucepan and boil down to 1/4 cup. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Cool the mixture. Work the cooled wine reduction into the butter. Season with salt and pepper . Roll into a log using plastic wrap. Use immediately or refrigerate for use in 1-2 days.
-------
Pistachio Herb Butter
Serve with grilled meat.
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup chopped pistachios
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 Tbsp. butter, softened
Salt and pepper to taste
----------
GARLIC BUTTER
Thoroughly combine 1 stick or 1/2 cup butter, softened, 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, 1 garlic clove, mashed and salt to taste. Let stand for 30 minutes. Use for garlic bread.
--------
Chili Butter
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
4-5 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. pepper sauce
--------------
Strawberry Butter
1 stick butter, softened
1 tsp. lemon juice