Allen’s Mexican Seasoning Mix

AllenOK

This is based on a recipe one of my old chef's had. I've modified it slightly, adding one herb, and changing some of the ratios to better suit my taste. I also use this mix where I currently work to season quesadillas and nachoes.

In a pinch, you can use this as a basic seasoning for ANY Mexican- or Tex-Mex-flavored dish. However, you will run into a problem of everything beginning to taste the same.

Allen’s Mexican Seasoning Mix
Yields: ~ 1 ¾ c

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
¼ c onion powder
1/8 c oregano
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have a similar mix that I use often. The last batch I made, I used more chiles de arbol and it had a little too much heat. Because chile powder usually has various spices in it, I just start with freshly ground dried chiles:

Chili Powder
6 oz dried chiles (mild, hot or combination. Ancho or pasillo are the mildest and guajillo and chiles de arbol are a little hotter. I mixed them up)
2 TBS ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp onion salt
2 tsp dried cilantro (I used more)

Cut off stems of chiles and remove seeds. Toast lightly on a griddle or dry frying pan (cast iron is best) just until you have some fragrance (20-30 seconds). Blend all ingredients with chiles in a food processor until powdery. Store in an air-tight glass jar. When you use it, remember that it already has salt...

AllenOK

Karen, I've read that a lot of "purists" will only use chili powder that they have toasted and ground themselves. This does give them control over ratios, heat level, or any other "additives", be they other herbs/spices, or chemical products to retain color, prevent lumping, etc.

I've only done that once or twice myself. I might get more into that aspect of formulating spice mixes one day.

chowhound

Cool. More recipes for that Mexican taste.
I printed Bam's (?) too. I'm looking to get away from purchasing the packets.

PanchoHambre

Cool. More recipes for that Mexican taste.
I printed Bam's (?) too. I'm looking to get away from purchasing the packets.

yeah.. I need to copy and save some of these and then go spice shopping

I dont like the packets because you cannot adjust to your taste as easily.. and they also often contain all sorts of preservatives and too much salt

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Would it work for fajitas - I've looking for a mix to flavour our fajitas.

AllenOK

Miniman, for fajitas, I use one or two tablespoons of the seasoning mix, some oil, and some fresh-squeezed lime juice. Mix it all together in a ziplock baggie, place the meat in, and massage the marinade all around the meat. Marinate for 30 minutes, then grill.