ISO - shepherds pie

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i worked in Atlantic City,NJ a couple of summers ago. My missus and i use to eat at this place called The Irish Pub. They were inexpensive, great food and the service was always great.

http://www.theirishpub.com/html.htm#The%20Irish%20Pub%20-%20Atlantic%20City

anyways they had a shepherds pie that was to die for... i am in search of that now... it was authentic, had white cheddar melted on it...

do you have a tried and tested recipe?

help plz..lol

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I make it different every time. Not had one with cheddar melted on it before. Will post an approximate recipe shortly. I need to go and collect the boys now.

PanchoHambre

BAM... don't have my own recipe for this because it's something I usually order (Donavan's in Woodside Queens is the joint for this)

This recipe looks pretty right to me. with two edits: I would probably not use a stock cube because I don't always like them and would use my own stock and flavorings (not alot of spice b'cause English/Irish pub food is pretty plain just enough to bring out the flavor of the meat and veggies. Also I find Whipped type mashed potatoes to be best for topping....

Traditional proper SP is ground lamb cooked with onions/peas/carrots with some tomato gravy (but the tomato taste should not be strong... its a meat gravy not tomato sauce) and the gravy should be just enough to keep it moist but it should not be soupy then covered with mashed potatoes (and cheese optional) and baked

When I make it at home it is usually sort of a kitchen sink deal use up whatever scraps of veggies I have... really cant go wrong... and I usually beef or turkey because I rarely have lamb on hand... so then it becomes a "cottage pie" I guess...

It's hard to not make it tasty though. great comfort food

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I realize this has nothing to do with your question, and I apologize in advance for that..but you mentioned Atlantic City....and I just have to ask...

Did you get to the White House Sub Shop?:bouncy:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah Pancho's recipe is pretty much the basic - you can add other veggies, we often use it as a leftover type thing. Tinned baked beans go quite well. I'm usually using beef, so technically a cottage pie. I also mix dried mixed herbs and cheese into the mash before topping. It is very important that the meat mix is not too wet.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Here is my TNT Shepard's Pie Recipe:

Step 1: Get in car
Step 2: Drive to Brookfield
Step 3: Park in front of the "Irish Times Pub & Restaurant"
Step 4: Go inside and be seated
Step 5: Order ale and Shepard's Pie
Step 6; Eat, drink, be merry!!
Step 7: Pay bill and get home safely!

Pretty easy directions, simple to do, but probably not as cheap as making your own at home, LOL!

babe

i made on using left over turkey, turkey gravy , carrots, onions, a bit of whold kernal corn, mashed potatoes on top, no cheese so have no clue what it would be called.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i made on using left over turkey, turkey gravy , carrots, onions, a bit of whold kernal corn, mashed potatoes on top, no cheese so have no clue what it would be called.

we call that a pot pie...lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I realize this has nothing to do with your question, and I apologize in advance for that..but you mentioned Atlantic City....and I just have to ask...

Did you get to the White House Sub Shop?:bouncy:

no we didnt eat there... the line was always too long and we only had short breaks to eat our meals.. suppose to be one of the best but was a little too pricey for a sub.lol