Chocolate Marble Cake

Guts

Chocolate Marble Cake

I didn't want take away from the need help post. I had a Idea about this cake and I got lucky. UnConundrum's post was my inspiration for this cake. I looked at his recipe and some on line and one that I have, and came up with this one. It didn't fall but a ¼" to ½" or normal shrinkage.

pic1 oven at one hour

pic2 out of the oven one hour and thirty minutes

pic3 shrinkage thirty minutes out of oven

pic4 cake out of pan

pic5 sliced cake

pic6 piece of sliced cake

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 198

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, beautiful!!

Is your recipe posted somewhere, Guts?

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That cake is BEAUTIFUL!! Please hurry with the recipe I can't wait!! YUMMY!!

Guts

Thank you all for you interest in my experiment. And nice complements.
Kim

NOTE; the cups & spoons are ± The grams are right on as to how I made this cake.

My Chocolate marble Cake

1 Cup Butter (two sticks) [226Grams]
3 Cups Sugar [603 Grams]
6 Eggs [To Be Added One At A Time]
1 Cup Sour Cream [260 Grams]
2 tsp Rum Extract [14 Grams]
1 tsp Almond Extract [7 Grams]
1 tsp Vanilla Extract [7 Grams]
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then add the three Extracts Mixed in with the Sour Cream, mix to incorporate Sour Cream and Cream mixture. Now add the Flour about ¾ of it as it is absorbed add the last ¼ of the Flour, mix till smooth texture. Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer. Take ½ of the mixture [Mine was about 1000 Grams] put in bowl large enough to hold this amount, to be added to the Bundt pan later.
The Flour [GMAP] = General Mills All Purpose
3 Cups GMAP Flour [465 grams]
1 tsp Salt [7.2 Grams]
¼ tsp baking soda [1.7 Grams]
Now The Chocolate
4 Ounces Bitter Sweet Bakers Chocolate [113 Grams]
¼ Cup + 1 TBS Sugar [60 Grams]
¼ Cup HOT Water / just under ¼ cup [55 Grams]
Melt the Chocolate I'm not going to say how you do this. Add the Sugar incorporate with melted chocolate and HOT Water. When cooled slightly add ¼ tsp baking soda mix well. Now add this cooled slightly mixture to the remaining batter in the mixing bowl, and mix to incorporate Chocolate and batter.
Now put the mixtures in a Bundt Pan, I used the spray flour to coat the Bundt pan. I put four spoons of the Chocolate mixture in first 12/3/6/9 o'clock then poored a layer of the white batter then more of the dark batter and so on. I did not stir the batters they just did it by them self (the swirls).
One more thing My Target Time was one hour and twenty minutes. At 325°f After one hour I shot the oven again and found it to be 322°f a little low so I had to cook the cake for ten more minutes.. total time was one hour and thirty minutes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I think old recipes are great :) She's insisting I work on two more, her apple cake and a sour cream chocolate cake. Gotta look through her recipe box.

BTW, she suggests going one time around the pan with a knife in the batter to accent the marble effect...

Guts

I think old recipes are great

Ya they are, I have so many I would never be able to try all of them. And the way some of them are written show the way things were back then. One from my grandmother calls for a stewing chicken I take this to be a old hen out of the barn... that's what I was told any way.
I remember my grandfather saying that "Elvis Presley was going to be the down fall of this country" I kinda feel like he did back then, not knowing where this country is headed. The Good old Days!!!
Kim

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
One from my grandmother calls for a stewing chicken I take this to be a old hen out of the barn...

Stewing chickens are readily available today, just not at a supermarket. Go to almost any poultry purveyor at a farmers' market and you should have no problem. Yes, it is an old bird, but they are superior for stocks and soup. Clearly where the phrase "Tough old bird" came from :) They have to cook a long time, but worth it.

Guts

Stewing chickens are readily available today, just not at a supermarket. Go to almost any poultry purveyor at a farmers' market and you should have no problem. Yes, it is an old bird, but they are superior for stocks and soup. Clearly where the phrase "Tough old bird" came from :) They have to cook a long time, but worth it.

The recipe that I was referring to was for chicken and dumplings, YUM!!! I grew up on this recipe and I haven't make it in years. The dumplings were steamed not cooked on top of the chicken, Haven't seen many people do it this way, and good the next day because they didn't get soggy. also good with jam O ya.
"Tough old bird" I have heard this many times before. One my mother used when she saw a woman ( I have to be careful here ) on the street (if you know what I mean) She would say "that looks like a tough cookie" Mother had a good sense of humor, I miss her.
Kim

Guts

I made a Big Boo Boo on the sugar grams.. it reeds 303 BUT Should reed 603 Grams may I ask one of the moderators to change this for me Sorry my falt!
Kim

FryBoy

Kim, I started to copy your recipe to make tomorrow and got confused. You list these ingredients after the flour is added:

1 tsp Salt [7.2 Grams]

Then you list the baking soda again, added to the chocolate.

Que?

Is the salt and baking soda add with the flour?

Or is the baking soda just added to the chocolate?

Or do you add the salt and soda with the flour, then add more soda to the chocolate?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Guts

Kim, I started to copy your recipe to make tomorrow and got confused. You list these ingredients after the flour is added:

1 tsp Salt [7.2 Grams] make flour this way corect
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you list the baking soda again, added to the chocolate. Yes

Que?

Is the salt and baking soda add with the flour? Yes

Or is the baking soda just added to the chocolate? no [and yes look at UnConundrum post need help] chocolate made the same way but no egg whites. I added the baking soda last thing after the chocolate was mixed with the sugar & water and cooled a bit. hope this helps.

Or do you add the salt and soda with the flour, then add more soda to the chocolate? Yes

Please make a note on the grams of sugar should be 603 Grams:oops: not 303 I hope one of the mods can fix this for me!
I wish the edit would be there all the time... O well I just have to live with it ...

PS going out of town tomorrow good luck Doug.
Kim

Last edited:

FryBoy

Kim, I sent you a PM about the recipe -- please check it and see if I've got everything down.

Thanks.

Guts

Doug I replied to it did you make it?

---------------------------------------------------

And thanks to the Moderator or administrator that fix the grams on the recipe.

FryBoy/AKA/Doug Collins has written the recipe in a better format that I did maybe he will post it.. hey Doug how about it.

Kim

Last edited:

FryBoy

Haven't made it yet -- maybe today or this weekend. Have some real work to get out of the way first.

I did rewrite the recipe to clarify it a bit for future reference. No changes in the cake itself, however, and Kim has blessed this version. Printable copy attached.

BTW, I usually melt chocolate in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring cup. Three ounces should take about 30 to 60 seconds; watch it carefully, take it out and stir it once it starts to melt, then return it for another 10 seconds or so; repeat as necessary, and remove from the microwave when there are still a few pieces left; stir until melted. The last few bits will melt as it sits. This way the chocolate is still pretty cool. Works with butter, too, or with chocolate and butter together.

KIM’S CHOCOLATE MARBLE CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour [465 grams]
1 teaspoon salt [7.2 grams]
¼ teaspoon baking soda [1.7 grams]
1 cup sour cream [260 grams]
2 teaspoons rum extract [14 grams]
1 teaspoon almond extract [7 grams]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [7 grams]
1 cup butter (two sticks) [226 grams]
3 cups sugar [603 grams]
6 eggs
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate [113 grams]
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar [60 grams]
¼ teaspoon baking soda [1.7 grams]
¼ cup hot water (use just under ¼ cup) [55 grams]

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.

3. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda, mix well, and set aside.

4. Combine the sour cream and the three extracts, mix well, and set aside.

5. Cream butter and sugar in electric mixer until light and fluffy.

6. Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

7. Add the sour cream and mix to incorporate.

8. Add about ¼ of the flour mixture and mix until just absorbed; repeat, adding ¼ of
flour at a time, until texture is just smooth; do not over beat.

9. Divide batter into two equal portions.

10. Melt the chocolate.

11. Add sugar and hot water to melted chocolate and mix to incorporate.

12. When chocolate has cooled slightly, add baking soda and mix well.

13. Add slightly cooled chocolate mixture to one half of the batter and mix to
incorporate.

14. Put four large spoonfuls of the chocolate batter in prepared Bundt at the 12-, 3-, 6-,
and 9- o'clock positions, then add a layer of the white batter, then more of the
chocolate batter, repeating until all batter is added.

15. Optional: Run a knife around the pan one time to slightly swirl the batters together.

16. Bake for 80 to 90 minutes @ 325 degrees, or until cake begins to pull away from
pan and bounces back when pressed slightly in the middle.

17. Cool on rack for 20 to 30 minutes, then invert onto plate and remove pan. Allow to
cool completely before serving.

Attachments

• Cake, Chocolate Marble.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 282

Guts

Great Job Doug !Thank yon for taking the time to do this. muck better than the chicken scratch I posted.
Also Good tip the BTW on melting the Chocolate, that's the way I did it.
Kim