Which onions, and why?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I almost exclusively buy sweet onions nowadays. They are so versatile, raw or cooked.

I buy one bunch of green onions every week, and mainly put them in salads (tossed, tuna salad).

Every once in a great while, I'll get a red onion for it's looks on lox and bagels and/or potato salad.

I haven't bought a yellow onion since I discovered sweets, maybe 15 years ago.

What onions do you buy and why?

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm the same way Lee. I only buy sweet....Vidalia when they are in season. I do buy green onions and shallots on occasion too. All others seem to bother DH's stomach....I guess it's the acid in them.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I almost always have a red onion on hand for sandwiches, burgers, topping chili, etc. I just like 'em, maybe because they are mild. Cipollinis are fantastic in stews. They are sweet and don't cook all apart, so you can get a big bite of onion. I always have green onions on hand too. I like them on baked potatoes (love chives too, but very seldom buy them), in stir frys and sauces. I'm an onion lover.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I like all onions. I mainly by the white onions but Amanda liked the red and shallots mostly.

It depends on what I am cooking, onion soup gets as many varieties as I can find in the store.

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I bet you could keep a pot of chives all year round, if you can find a shady spot for them in the summer.

Lee

K

Kimchee

Sweet onions, shallots, green onions and the occasional red here too.
Used to be a yellow onion man, but sweets are now less expensive,
and I think they taste better.
(Besides, my wife doesn't like them.)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We don't see much of the sweet onions over here. I usually have yellows, sometimes reds for colour contrast. Very occasionally I wll have shallots and I am planning to grow spring onions this year (I think these are what you guys usually call green onions)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yes MM we call spring onions green onions. It depends on what grocery I shop as to what I call them

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

I always have on hand:

Sweet Onions - Vidalias, Texans, Walla Walla, whatever - for both raw eating & cooking.
Yellow Onions - for general cooking. I also find them irreplaceable for a good solid tasty "French Onion Soup".
Red Onions - a must-have for salads & sandwiches (especially sardine sandwiches)
Shallots - always on hand for salads & cooked dishes.
Scallions - always on hand for garnishing soups & Asian dishes.

I also sometimes buy "green" Vidalia onions when they're in season (sort of like scallions with largish fresh bulbs at the end) for grilling.

Actually, I guess the onion I rarely if ever buy (unless it's specified in a recipe), are the large white ones.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, I bet you could keep a pot of chives all year round, if you can find a shady spot for them in the summer.

Lee

I've been thinking about trying some herbs inside. My kitchen window is pretty bright.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
mainly sweet onion, as they're mild & versatile. last year i developed a luv for redd onion, raw, in any way feasible. i'll buy those bags of spanish onions, then won't use a single one. l luv scallions. plain/salted, in/on stuff, usually raw or nearly-raw.

Leni

I use a lot of brown onions. Red onions are used to make potato salad, spinach salad and on hamburgers. Scallions are used in salads and other palces where I want the milder flavor or the color.