Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• spaetzle maker.jpg
    spaetzle maker.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 162

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We have a very similar one and it works great. You have to use a pretty thick batter though, not one of the thin ones. I call it a datter, dough/batter.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've bought most every kind they make. that one does function except you toss the sliding box and use a cupped spatula to push the batter thru.

my favorite is the plate kind - hard to find in stores, try various mail order places.

Attachments

• spplate.jpg
    spplate.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 153

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a ricer will work - tad more tedious as the 'cup' volume is small and cleanup is messer - but you need on with big holes. the CuisiPro comes with three disks, this is the biggest, compared to the plate style:

Attachments

• DSC_5410.jpg
    DSC_5410.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 145

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You could use a colander with round holes as well, assuming they are pretty good size.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You could use a colander with round holes as well, assuming they are pretty good size.

Good idea! Thanks!

The ingredients are common enough and cheap enough. Maybe I'll give them a test drive this weekend.

Lee

Johnny West

When we lived in Germany one of the hatcheries had an egg truck that would make designated stops in village neighborhoods. In front of our house happened to be one of the stops. They also made their own spaetzel which we'd buy so never got around to making it. Here in WA I get the dried German made spaetzel at the commissary. We only eat it about once a year around Oktoberfest time. With this crazy dieting we do I wonder if I'll eat it again.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the fresh stuff is incredible easy and far better than any of the dried stuff!!
the two major formats are Black Forest style (stringy/straw like) vs Bavarian/Swaebisch which I call 'cheese doodle' style.

240 g water (use a 2 cup measure because....)
beat 3 large eggs into the water
350 g AP flour
5 g salt

mix, let stand 5-10 minutes, squeeze into boiling water.
boil about 4 minutes
remove with spyder into colander, add about 3 T butter in small pats and toss in colander to prevent sticking.

there's a thousand recipes out there - the above is the bare bone essential.
classic is some ground nutmeg for seasoning

others include milk, grated cheese, minced herbs, etc. it's quite adaptable.

adjust the water amount for consistency to suit your squeezing device.
take notes - the dough is wet and stick and that makes it tricky to adjust after mixing; easiest to have the precise qtys and do a mix once.

eat frisch / hot or cool/freeze and re-fry

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
sigh. we're just gonna' have to get you a scale . . .
ask Santa for the OXO for Christmas

getting sorta close . .
240g of water = 240ml = 8.116 fl oz = 1 cup + 2 T
teaspoon of kosher salt
the flour is more trickier as not all flour has the same density.
KA AP - 2.692 cups = 2 c + 5.5 fl oz

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this shows the plastic handled maker - my batter is stiffer than hers - I don't care for the thin drizzle style
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9ED2F7C875CCBD4AD3989ED2F7C875CCBD4&FORM=VIRE

making Schwarzwalder style does not use the press type gadgets:
the proportions I gave are bit stickier - not quite this stiff - the dialect in this video makes the instructions absolutely 'authentic'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

but can be done "with cat" (about 0:35) - which was rescued while they were on vacation is Austria - the kitten was hiding in the vacation apartment kitchen . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUa6n4g5rE
her recipe is just egg and flour, little water.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Spaetzle recipe

2 eggs
2 Tbsp melted lard, butter or oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2-1/2 cups AP flour
2-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
Optional: A little bit of freshly grated nutmeg

Using an electric mixer, blend the eggs, lard/butter/oil, water and milk. Mix the flour salt and baking powder, optional nutmeg together and blend into the liquid mix. Mix well and set aside for a few minutes. Bring water to a gentle boil and salt. With some kind of a spaetzle maker, drop 1/4 to 1/3 of the batter into the gently boiling water. Don't overcrowd. When the dumplings float, they are done. Remove with a slotted spoon into a colander to finish draining.

Craig likes his with gravy from sauerbratten or similar. I like to start melting butter with whole sage leaves in it until it is very lightly browned, remove the sage leaves, finish browning the butter and then toss the spaetzle in it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the recipe, med! I hope you ate those crispy sage leaves! Better than potato chips!

Chowder, thanks for the excellent video. I watched the whole thing while having lunch!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
as you can see - there's a lot of batter recipes and methods. not sure whether making spaetzle or soft boiled eggs has more techniques . . .

one grandmother demo'd her method - mix in bowl, tilt to pour into boiling water, chop off slivers of dough from the bowl rim with a table knife. that's the minimalist approach!