Dry-Roasted Grasshoppers

Rustpot

This is a Middle East recipe, And I have eaten them dipped in Chocolate.

Dry-Roasted Grasshoppers
Start with 24 live insects. Place them in a colander and cover with cheesecloth. Rinse with lukewarm water and place in the freezer. After 20 minutes or so, they will be dead but not frozen. Remove the head, wings and hind legs. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200°F for 2 hours, until they are dried. Eat them as they are or dip them directly into melted chocolate or warmed honey.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Somebody bring me 24 live grasshoppers, I'm eating at Mickydees, I don't care where they eat.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Honestly, Rustpot - have you made these???

LOL!

Lee

Rustpot

Honestly, Rustpot - have you made these???

LOL!

Lee

My Children and I took butterfly nets and gathered about 2 dozen. To clean the grasshoppers
you pull the head backwards over it's back and all the insides comes out attached to the head. Cooked this way they are crunchy.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My Children and I took butterfly nets and gathered about 2 dozen. To clean the grasshoppers
you pull the head backwards over it's back and all the insides comes out attached to the head. Cooked this way they are crunchy.

Yuck!! :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

chilefarmer

I have eaten them dried and also fried. Haven done the chocolate. I like spicy, use dry spices or they come out soggy. I don't clean them out just wash them good. Then fry or dry. They are really pretty good, crunchy. CF

Shermie

Site Supporter
A gal on Most Shocking just ate one of those big cockroaches!! As a bet that she could swallow it!!!! Wouldn't be me!!! :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Johnny West

Safeco Field has fried grasshoppers on the menu this year. I'll have to try them once and will take pictures, of course.