Miso Roasted Japanese Turnips

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had to ask the vendor at the Farmer's Market what they were: Japanese Turnips. He said you could eat them cooked or raw. I paid the 2 bucks for the bunch.

I scrubbed them, trimmed them and took a bite of one - kinda like a radish - good!

Then I made this recipe.

Well, I hated the greens - bitter and the strings were inedible.

I loved the flesh.

But I'd never bought or cooked with miso before - it's VERY SALTY!!!

I liked the flavor, though. Had to buy a rather large package of it, so I hope it lasts a long time in the fridge!

I would buy the turnips again, but will discard the greens. And I will cook with miso again.

Anyone have TNT recipes with miso?

Lee

Miso Roasted Japanese Turnips

https://foolproofliving.com/miso-roasted-japanese-turnips/
Miso-Roasted-Japanese-Turnips-6759-150x150.jpg

• Author: Aysegul Sanford
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 12 minutes
  • Total Time: 22 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings
  • Category: Vegetarian Side Dish
  • Cuisine: American

Ingredients

• 2 pounds of Japanese turnips, rinsed and cut in half – green parts reserved
  • 3 tablespoons white miso paste, divided
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • coarse sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Whisk together the 2 tablespoons of miso paste and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl.
  3. Spread the turnips on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle it with the miso-olive oil mixture. Give it a toss to make sure that all turnips are coated with the mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes making sure to rotate the turnips halfway through the baking process. When they come out of the oven, let them cool. Sprinkle them with a big pinch of black pepper. Taste for seasoning and add in some salt if necessary.
  4. Meanwhile, rinse the green parts and roughly chop them up. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Sauté the chopped greens until they are lightly wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rest of the miso paste and make sure that the green leafs are coated with the paste. Add in ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Taste for seasoning and add in if necessary.
  5. Transfer the warm greens in a large salad bowl. Spread the roasted turnips on top of the greens.
  6. Serve immediately.

Attachments

• Japanese eggplant 1.JPG
    Japanese eggplant 1.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Japanese eggplant 2.JPG
    Japanese eggplant 2.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Japanese eggplant 3.JPG
    Japanese eggplant 3.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 73

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Do you have this picture on the teriyaki recipe also? Looks good but I’ve never seen those turnips in any of the stores I go to.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, yes. I served the miso turnips with the teriyaki chicken recipe.

I had never seen or heard of the turnips, either. I'm a fan of turnip, rutabaga and winter squashes.

Lee