Making Bread

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We now have a Kitchen aid and we're attempting to make bread for the 1st time.
1st batch came out really dry.
Trying the 2nd batch now.

Any tricks you care to share to help a rookie at bread making?

Do you have to knead it by hand after it sets, or is there a kitchen aid knead type of setting?

Archdean

Are you using a bread mix? They are generally formulated for bread machines. If not, what method are you using? I have been making bread in my Kitchen Aid for over 25 years and haven't experienced this problem.

Just trouble-shooting: Are you proofing your yeast? Are you making sure your liquids are not too hot (this will kill your yeast)? How long are you kneading the dough and are you using the bread hook attachment? White bread must be kneaded for around 5-7 minutes after all of the ingredients are incoporated. Make sure you lock the head of the mixer down and either stay in the same room with it while it is working or place a kitchen towel under the machine so it won't walk across your counter while it is running.

The dough will form a mass around the hook, pull away from the sides of the bowl and make a slapping sound when it is ready to be turned out on your board. Let it rest for 5 minutes or so while you wash out the work bowl and grease it lightly. Knead the dough for a few minutes, adding VERY LITTLE flour. It should be smooth and elastic. Gather it into a ball and place it back into the work bowl, turn it over (this will grease the top) cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on the room temperature. Punch it down, turn it over and let it rise again. Divide and shape into loaves or rolls and bake.

Most recipes call for a hot oven (450 degrees) for the first 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 and continue to bake for about 40 minutes for loaves. They are done when they sound hollow when turned out of the pan and rapped on the bottom with your knuckles.

Turn off the oven, place the turned out loaves on their sides on the oven rack, leaving the oven door slightly open. Leave the loaves in the oven for ten minutes. Remove them from the oven and cool completely on rack. Wrap tightly and store or freeze.

Annyokie (GF)

Common Causes for inferior Bread

Bread.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dean and Annyokie!
We had a few 'issues'. We were using wheat flour and the little yeast packets. The 1st mix did not come out at all. Very dry and would not stick together. So we tried with the remaining yeast packet combining it with an old yeast packet. We would have been better off just using the one packet. We made 12 rolls and one loaf. They rose a little, but not as much as they should have. Baked them anyway and they were not so good. With your tips I'm sure we'll have better luck next time. I'll post that outcome here also, whenever it happens.

Archdean

Glad you survived! Anny :chef: really does know her way around the kitchen and her bread is damn good!

I showed her your post and then went brush hogging (5 acres) no doubt why you got good advice!!:yum:

Ironman

🍺
Let your (covered) dough do an overnight rise in the fridge. Don't be afraid to punch it down 2 or 3 times after it rises either. Add just a little extra sugar for a great taste if you like, just like pizza dough that I make.

Best bread I ever made was with cake yeast.

Maybe look into getting a stone for your oven also... and remind me to post my top secret recipe for pizza dough that I got from my good friend, Albert. This guy ia a legend.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I'm reminding you to post your top secret recipe for pizza dough. I love pizza. :thumb: :D

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a cool web site your friend Albert has there. :thumb:
Could you ask him if he would be interested in a banner exchange?
I'll run his banner on this web site and on Forums Forums for more views. And he could display a banner to Net Cooking Talk. Sounds like a win win situation to me. :D :thumb:

Ironman

🍺
What a cool web site your friend Albert has there. :thumb:
Could you ask him if he would be interested in a banner exchange?
I'll run his banner on this web site and on Forums Forums for more views. And he could display a banner to Net Cooking Talk. Sounds like a win win situation to me. :D :thumb:
No Problem Doc, I'll send him a note on his forum tonight. I'm sure he would like that - I'll PM you with the info.

I'll have to remember where I stored that secret pizza recipe, but when I find it I'll post it. :punk: