Chicken Cakes

mhend

My kids won't eat crab, so I make chicken cakes instead.

I am not 100% certain of the measurements. I rarely measure ingredients, I usually just eyeball it. They should be pretty close though.

3 C. Chicken, shredded.
2 T. Unsalted Butter
1/2 C. Red Onion, diced
1/2 C. Celery, diced
1/2 C. Red Pepper, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/3 C. Mayo
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. Creole Mustard
3 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Remoulade Sauce
Vegetable Oil for cooking

Cook onions, celery, red pepper in the butter until soft. Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes or so. Take the veggies off the heat and set aside to cool. After the veggies have cooled, mix together chicken, veggies, 1/2 c. of the bread crumbs, mayo, eggs, creole mustard, salt and pepper. Divide into 12 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in remaining bread crumbs and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oil in a skillet (I always use an iron skillet, but I don't think it matters. ) Cook the patties until they are golden brown. Serve with Remoulade Sauce. (I use Boar's Head Remoulade Sauce)

FryBoy

Of course, if you consider cutting it into thin strips to be shredding. Just wasn't sure what the OP meant by the term.

Phiddlechik

I picked up a can of salmon today for my vegetarian, fish eating, daughter. I made some shrimp cakes not long ago, breaded, and then placed in the freezer for her to take out one at a time to finish cooking (shrimp was cooked, could use canned). So, we are going to try salmon cakes, too.

mhend

I would think canned chicken would work well. I don't like tuna myself, but it would probably work too. :)

alexandradarex

My kids won't eat crab, so I make chicken cakes instead.

I am not 100% certain of the measurements. I rarely measure ingredients, I usually just eyeball it. They should be pretty close though.

3 C. Chicken, shredded.
2 T. Unsalted Butter
1/2 C. Red Onion, diced
1/2 C. Celery, diced
1/2 C. Red Pepper, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/3 C. Mayo
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. Creole Mustard
3 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Remoulade Sauce
Vegetable Oil for cooking

Cook onions, celery, red pepper in the butter until soft. Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes or so. Take the veggies off the heat and set aside to cool. After the veggies have cooled, mix together chicken, veggies, 1/2 c. of the bread crumbs, mayo, eggs, creole mustard, salt and pepper. Divide into 12 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in remaining bread crumbs and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oil in a skillet (I always use an iron skillet, but I don't think it matters. ) Cook the patties until they are golden brown. Serve with Remoulade Sauce. (I use Boar's Head Remoulade Sauce)
These delightful, but I need to switch the crackers and breadcrumbs with cauliflower “rice.” This change works well in my meatloaf and meatballs, so I get no reason why it wouldn’t work with your chicken cakes. I have some one pound stacks of frayed barbeque chicken in the freezer … decent to go!