Update

AllenOK

What a freaking week!

Monday saw severe T-storms here in OK. Y'all might have seen some reports on national news Tuesday. We didn't get any tornadoes here in the Tulsa area. My sister lives near I-40, and the tornado that ran down the I-40 corridor passed over her house. They lost a few shingles, a few pieces of siding, and some of the aluminum skirting. Not much damage to the house, but they did loose A LOT of trees! Looks like they're set for firewood this winter.

YESTERDAY saw a really strong "bow echo" squall line move through the Tulsa area around 0500. Depending on the channel you watched reports from, there were anywhere from three to over a dozen different "gustnadoes", small, usually weak tornadoes that spin up from an eddy in the wind currents at the leading edge of the line.

Our power flickered four or five times over the course of 5 minutes around 0450 Wednesday morning. Then it went out for good. Shortly thereafter, the storm sirens started sounding off. We do have a battery-powered radio, but it was upstairs, and no batteries were in it. Since I couldn't turn on the TV, I just went back to bed.

WE WERE LUCKY WE DIDN'T HAVE SOMETHING BAD HAPPEN!

Apparently, a rather strong "gustnado", approaching EF-2 strength, passed through about 2 miles north of us. It really messed up the neighborhoods it passed through.

We didn't loose any large limbs or trees, although some of our immediate neighbors lost a few larger limbs. We got our power back on around 8:30 pm Wednesday.

I'm going to have to try and get a battery-powered weather radio, or at least a little transistor radio that I can keep handy.

It looks like it's going to rain most of today, and we have shots of rain all weekend. We need the rain, as April was pretty much dry.

I count myself lucky. I found out that one of my co-workers had the roof of his apartment building peel off. He got out with his vehicle, his dog, and a few changes of clothes. Luckily he has Renter's Insurance.

On the job-front:

I have not found a second job, yet. The same co-worker told me to go apply at a nearby hotel. I did so, over a week ago, but haven't heard anything. Come to find out, the gal that runs the HR department is biased towards hiring Latinos only. My buddy is going to call his contact inside that kitchen and let him know that I did apply, and maybe get the ball rolling on that end.

I've got another friend that is going to see about getting me a position at a retirement community. Hopefully, hopefully....

Who would have thought that it would be so hard for a trained, experienced cook to find a job?!?!?! Apparently, all the folks that lost jobs to the recession found jobs in the restaurant industry. I even bit the bullet and put some app's in at a fast-food chain that I've worked at before, but..... School's going to be out for the summer in a week or two, and all the fast-food joints are going to be hiring kids young enough to my my kids.

I've even put some app's in outside my field, and have had no response.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy moly, Allen! You have had a TIME!

If you need a reference for your cooking abilities, you can use your "portfolio" of recipes and photos on NCT.

And a bunch of us posters will certainly vouch for you!

Best of luck!

Lee