corn flakes for breading

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a bit back I went on a rave about using Corn Flakes for oven fried chicken. it's a old old old 'technique' - still taste good tho....

so tonight is a [highly modified] Cobb salad recipe that calls for breaded sauted chicken breast slices.

having been serious unimpressed with sliced chicken breast on salad.....I revolted.

I sliced some (raw) chicken cutlets into strips, let stand in (1%) milk 20 minutes, prepped a fine smash of Corn Flakes - pushing flour fine-ness,+ salt+pepper+dried powder garlic, ran the milk washed chicken strips through the "breading" and sauted 2-3 minutes per side in a generous pan of olive oil.

cannot get DW to stop with the "yum yum yum" - she's consumed about half of the chicken, and the salad ain't yet made.....

so, consider ye' the honorable Corn Flakes as a super breading sub.
you'll be a-maized.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, the humble corn flake makes for lovely, crispy things.
In fact, I'm going to use them in the flour mix next week for chicken strips.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If I finely ground the whole giant box of flakes (wish I could buy a small box) and wanted to store it, would it be okay in a Tupperware container on the shelf?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
If I finely ground the whole giant box of flakes (wish I could buy a small box) and wanted to store it, would it be okay in a Tupperware container on the shelf?

Lee

This.
Run them through a food processor. Bag the resultant crumbs and freeze to use for breading and topping casseroles.
It also suggests you could season them with shaker type parmesan and dried herbs.

Johnny West

Corn flake chicken was a favorite back in the 60’s. I used to make up a chicken and fix a hamper to take dates to the country for a picnic. Those were the days....