Historic Cookbooks and Recipes

PanchoHambre

I am always fascinated by old things:tiphat: and a bit of a history buff. In particular I have found myself endlessly entertained by old cookbooks after finding a few in a used bookstore - recipes from the times when everything was boiled in "just enough" butter and squirrel and woodcock took a prominent place at the table - when garlic was exotics - they days before "joy of cooking" changed the american culinary landscape. I will transcribe some recepies from my bookstore finds when I have time but in the meantime I came across this website http://vintagecookbooks.healthyeatingandlifestyle.org/index.html
which I find really cool so I thought I would share

if you have links or old recipes please share:wave:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I collect cookbooks & one of my beloved treasures is from my great-aunt after she past, the 1938 printing of "The Household Searchlight Recipe Book", recipes from the Household Magazine. I love seeing her scribbles & adaptations of recipes :biggrin:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, there was this e-cookbook that used to be a fave. was fannie farmer boston school of cooking/cookery or very similar title, & there were the neatest recipes listed. i see they have the actual book online, tho that e-book may be online, yet. i'll look further later on.

Bells

I absolutely love old time recipes and such. I recently spent quite a bit of time looking for something specific on the internet and I found so many other things of interest during my search. I am trying several of them out. Thanks for the link.

PanchoHambre

http://www.mpl.org/file/digital_recipes_index.htm

this is a cool one and a cool story - the libraries clipped recipes from the paper and used them to answer phone in questions - ah pre internet days. interesting to think how important a comprehensive cookbook was before everything available at your finger tips.

when i was in college the internet was still not much - learned to cook by sharing with friends and a few cookbooks - moosewood was big because there were alot of vegetarians in my crowd

I am pickling a sauerbraten inspired by Aunt Babbette from the archives - exciting (i am a food nerd)

Last edited:

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If you are interested in learning about historic food ways and recipes. I strongly suggest these small and very cheep booklets that explores that abundance, as it was observed and experienced in the fields, forests, gardens, markets, taverns, and homes from our past. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Patricia Mitchell's [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Inkling Series[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Books[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.foodhistory.com/inklings/books/categories.htm[/FONT]

Shermie

Site Supporter
Earlier this year, I bought the '72 edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook and the Family Circle cookbook. :eating2:

Rustpot

a fascinating insight to the topic:

"A collection of late-16th & 17th century English recipes & receipts presented in their original language, all transcribed from primary sources."

http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html

there's actually quite a number of really really really old recipe sites / sources.
Very good link. I saved it, and will do a deeper serch into it later. I like that the recipes are free, no book to buy to get the info.

I still like to have the books. In the past I have lost my computer and in loseing it, I lost all my saved sites. :(

Thanks

Shermie

Site Supporter
How does one lose a computer, unless it was stolen?

Laptops are very easy to steal. Desktops are more difficult to steal, probably because of all those connecting cables.

Last edited:

Rustpot

How does one lose a computer, unless it was stolen?

Laptops are very easy to steal. Desktops are more difficult to steal.
Computer's and fire don't get along!

Ps. There are other ways a person can lose a computer!

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
computers crash ! you still "have" it, but you've "lost" it, for all practical purposes..........
we are into semantics, now??

Shermie

Site Supporter
Computer's and fire don't get along!

Ps. There are other ways a person can lose a computer!

Forgot about that one.

Thank God that I never had a fire!!

I almost did earlier this year during the winter when an old oil-filled radiator-type heater in the bedroom began to smoke. Had to throw it away and buy a new heater.

I once blew out an older computer over ten years ago. One of the memory sticks weren't seated properly. Went to turn the thing on and it "popped" and died.

The CPU (small heat sinking fan on the motherboard) had to be replaced. :sad:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]your right Lucky. When it's lost, it's lost [.] [/FONT]

Especially if it becomes viral infected. The whole hard drive would have to be formatted (erased) and the computer restored.

My new one had to be restored because I do not like Windows 8. :yuk:

Johnny West

This deserves TTT. I love the old recipes, especially from the 50's and 60's with what I grew up on. I've got a collection church cookbooks and the Open Line series from WMT in Cedar Rapids.