What is your favorite Supermarket and WHY

PanchoHambre

OK OK I know we are all supposed to shop local but reality alot of us shop the big guns. Having moved alot I have dealt with a great variety of supermarkets

My hands down favorite was Fiesta in TX... they stocked ethnic for the neighborhood *mine was a mix of Mexican immigrants and yuppies so cheap avocados and fancy cheese kept me happy) and best of all they let you take the cart home and sent a dude in a pickup to collect. 2nd in TX was Randalls Flagship which had wide aisles and was open 24/7 and just beautiful and clean... the NE is not as great but Wegmans in NJ is pretty great...

So what supermarkets do you like... or hate

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Tony's, they have tons of different ethnic ingredients there that makes it easier to get most of what I want for Mexican and Thai in one place. Also, they have great prices on meat a lot of the time and one mean deli and bakery.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Great question Pancho! :thumb:

I think Whole Foods is the best, but I need a lot of money to shop there.

I do like Meijer! They have the best produce

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Most of my shopping now is done in Meijers and Kroger's for super markets. I also shop for hard to find stuff at Korean Grocery across town, Whole Foods and another local place called The Liquor Barn here that sells a lot of imported fresh foods as well as alcohol. I also shop a local Italian import foods place up the street and the local Farmer's Market when open.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I would have to say Market Street but I don't shop there all the time because it is not convenient. But I like it there because the quality of the products and they have a produce selection that is out of this world, oh and a cheese bar! But when I can't shop there, it is usually Farmers Market for my produce, Walmart for those everyday things, and Kroger for those things I can't find at Walmart. I really like Tom Thumb, but that place is to damn far too!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
OK OK I know we are all supposed to shop local but reality alot of us shop the big guns. Having moved alot I have dealt with a great variety of supermarkets

My hands down favorite was Fiesta in TX... they stocked ethnic for the neighborhood *mine was a mix of Mexican immigrants and yuppies so cheap avocados and fancy cheese kept me happy) and best of all they let you take the cart home and sent a dude in a pickup to collect. 2nd in TX was Randalls Flagship which had wide aisles and was open 24/7 and just beautiful and clean... the NE is not as great but Wegmans in NJ is pretty great...

So what supermarkets do you like... or hate

when i was in Houston, hands down Fiesta was my favorite... loved the different vendors right in the store and lots of variety

when i lived in Michigan it was a local store the butchered their own meat and u could get any cut of meat u wanted...and cheap.. babybacks always 2.99/lb and half price when on sale...

simplicity

I like Fiesta too, but don't have one nearby. I'm an ex-Randalls shopper. They sold out to Safeway. They kept their Randalls name in my neighborhood for fear of losing customers. They did anyway...not that Safeway is bad...but Randalls was better. My current favorite is HEB (Central Market). It's one of those places where it's just fun to shop. The inventory keeps changing with food trends and reminds me of all the foods I still haven't tried. Shopping there is an adventure.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh, well since I can name more than one place, LOL. Tony's is still our fav, but we also shop ALDI, Whole Foods, and the Berwyn Fruit Market. In the summer, we visit the farmers markets every weekend.

Publix. In our area, as well as in Summerville SC and Orlando, they seem to always have the best selection. When I started cooking again, many items I could only find there.

Fred

Ronjohn

Kroger.

1) It's about the only one around.
2) there are TWO really nice ones within walking distance of the house
3) there's one by the office with a huge selection of oriental foods. Much better than the ones by the house. (Probably has to do with the large local Japanese population by the office.... :) )

lilylove

We have a Trader Joes that I go to once in awhile. Like it for special items.

Safeway, Fred Meyers, QFC are all here and all are about the same. Can't find good produce. We live for summer when Paul grows tomatoes!!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to say we can't afford to save so much at Meijer. Our bill was always higher than when we went to Krgoer, but we always bought more stuff. Either because it was on sale or cause they had dry goods.
We are in the sticks now and Kroger is the closest decent food store. Foodland IGA is closer by a block but does not carry near as much. Across the river in WV we could go to Sam's or Wallmart but I try to stay out of those places.

General shopping, i like shoprite because they just have the best prices.

Uncle Giuseppes has a HUGE variety of Italian foods, pastas, cheeses, sauces.....

Surprisingly, the best produce near me ( in the winter) is at Meat Farms. kinda funny a vegetarian shopping at meat farms. But during the summer months, I go to the local farm stands out east.

Other than these, most of my other shopping is at specialty ethnic stores ( Indian, Chines, Mexican)..They just seem to offer so many things Ive never seen before, and I love trying new things.

When I was in Philly, we did shoprite also, but went to this chinese market in Cheltenham somewhere. It was an asian market the size of a regular supermarket.

heb1976

Well we live in the boonies so we only have Golden Dawn, Wal-Mart, IGA, & Giant Eagle.

When I lived in the city, I used to shop at Tops all the time. They were affordable. I would only go to Giant Eagle when they had sales because they are way too over priced.

When they closed Tops, we started going to Wal-Mart. I love their prices and the only thing I wouldn't buy there is their steaks. They taste funny.

I go to Golden Dawn for steaks, Wal-Mart for everything else, Aldi's for produce and some staple stuff, Giant Eagle for sales only.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We liked Tom Thumb in the Dallas area when we were there. They were owned by Randalls. Probably Kroger next best.

Trouble is that Krogers isn't in Northern Va. We go there when we are at our farm in southern Va. Around here Blooms is the best but there selection is a little limited.

Jim