Fried Apples

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
6 to 8 Granny Smith apples or other good baking apple, cored and sliced (you can peel them if you want)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

In a large cast iron skillet or other heavy bottom pan, melt the butter. Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir and saute for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are tender. This is a great side dish for breakfast or any other meal and makes a wonderful topping on ice cream with a little caramel sauce on top!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now this might be close and will give it a try for sure. Thanks.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
My grandma used to make fried apples for us (she was a Southern cook; came from the non-Yankee part of West Virginia). I'll definitely try these, Mama - thanks!

LADawg

I make my fried apples without any sugar. If fact we are having fried apples as a side dish for todays noon meal. Here's what I do.....

FRIED APPLES

2 Apples (see notes below)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon ground Cinnamon
Peel Apples and cut in quarters. Remove core and cut each quarter into 4 wedges. Melt Butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add Apples and stir to make sure that all Apple wedges have a light coating of the melted Butter. Sprinkle with the Cinnamon. Cook until the Apples begin to become tender. The Apples should be tender, yet still a little on the firm side.

Notes: 1. Use a good cooking Apple such as Fuji, Gala, or Granny Smith. I prefer Fuji.
2. Great as a side dish with Pork.
3. Good at breakfast.
4. Only serves 2, maybe 3 if the servings are small.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Waiting on apple harvest time and will make some of these. By the end of this month harvest should be going strong. Seen one Amish guy has an ad running already.

LADawg

It just so happened that I cooked some fried apples late yesterday. I put them in the refrigerator overnight and reheated, along with cooking them a little longer this morning. I did add a handful of raisins and from not on I will add raisins to my fried apples. I should have added more that I did, but I will adjust the amount the next time......:chef: