Freezing Yeast

Guts

I see no reason you couldn't freeze it. If I was doing so I would probably use a vacuum seal. I keep my IDY in the refrigerator after it is opened. I assume you are talking about IDY (instant dry yeast)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Which kind of yeast are you talkingh about. Dry yeats do not need to be frozen they will keep well in a vacuum sealed container at ambient temperature. I keep opened packets in the fridge.
Fresh yeast can be frozen, just wake it up gently - apparently the proving stage can take longer when the yeast has been frozen.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I freeze it all the time. Just put it in a baggie. Will last for years.
I agree. I also put my yeast in the freezer. I have used yeast that has been frozen for years and it was still good.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I buy the big bags at Sam's and that's where I keep mine too.

Okay - are you folks talking about the dry yeast that comes in little packets? I always like having that on hand, but rarely bake, so end up tossing the packets out unopened when they pass their expiration date.

If that's what you're talking about, would that enable me to keep the yeast past the expiry date?

Leni

I've used those but for the last several years I have bought jars of Red Star dry yeast. I always put them in the freezer.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yes - the dry yeast - active dry / instant / bread machine / etc.

when all the kids were "in" I bought yeast in half pound packages, kept it in the freezer - lasted 4-6 months. no kids, my bread baking volume has declined.

buy in the the glass jar - much more cost effective.
keep the jar in the freezer - it'll last until it's gone.
freezing essentially puts the "use by date" into infinity.

I've lost the link, but some group successfully "re-grew" yeast from spores found in Egyptian tombs to "remake" authentic BC beer . . . . it's pretty tough stuff.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Okay - are you folks talking about the dry yeast that comes in little packets? I always like having that on hand, but rarely bake, so end up tossing the packets out unopened when they pass their expiration date.

If that's what you're talking about, would that enable me to keep the yeast past the expiry date?
I buy the Red Star in a brick of probably 2 or 3 pounds from Costco at around 3 or 4 bucks. I just empty it into a quart zip lock bag. I have never had any go bad, and a brick lasts way over a year for my baking.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Years ago I bought a giant bag of Fleishman's yeast (in a silver foil bag) from a bakery/restaurant supply store and kept it in the freezer for years. I made the BEST flavored bread. It asted like bakery bread. I always wondered if the yeast used buy bakeries was different thean the stuff we get in the supermarket.

massey1635

I do buy my yeast at the health food store in 1/2 lb. package. A 1/2 lb. package might cost $1.75. I bake bread maybe once a week, keep the yeast in the in the ice box. It sill might go bad before I use it all. So now I will keep it in the freezer. Thanks for the advice