Struggling with sugar!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I like sweet things but as I age, I see that a lot of sweet things don't necessarily appeal to me anymore.

I used to love a big sweetened yogurt but I got used to the plain, unflavored ones with no sugar added as I like the taste of yogurt.

But - and it's a big but - I still prefer regular peanut butter (my friends are all over me 3 ways from Thursday to only use natural peanut butter, without sugar) and I think unsweetened coconut has a bitter taste!

What do you all think? I'm not diabetic. I'm not overweight. Of course I want to keep my health, but I want to enjoy my food too ....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm below a BMI chart's lowest weight 4 me & my serum levels rock (here & there, i'll take vitamins & minerals, if my doctor says to), & yet cook & buy those foods that i luv- marbled steak, eggs, cheese, bread, candy-. i simply put food aside when i'm full.
is simple as that.
i ingest so many of those foods they have deemed unhealthy. many ppl listen to supposed health food trends & television too much. i, personally, listen to my hankerings.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I say that if you eat a healthy diet and exercise at least moderately, you should not have to give up or substitute the things you love, also in moderation.

However, if you eat a jar of peanut butter and a bag of coconut a day, your friends may have a point. :brows:

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I almost bought some of the Peter Pan Creamy Natural Peanut Butter last time I was shopping. I've never tried it. It still has some sugar in it.

It sounds like you have already tried the natural peanut butter and don't like it, CM. Lots of people can't tell the difference though.

BTW, my favorite brand/type of peanut butter won the taste test :chef:.

From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...peanut-butter-taste-difference_n_4019309.html

Natural vs. Regular Peanut Butter: Can You Taste The Difference?

"...we made a bunch of our colleagues taste their way through this question. We tasted a regular peanut butter, a natural peanut butter and an organic peanut butter in a blind taste test to find out. Here are the gritty details:
  • Of our eight testers, only two correctly identified the organic peanut butter, three guessed the regular peanut butter and four knew which was the natural peanut butter.
  • Regular beat natural on taste by only two points, but the organic peanut butter got left in the dust taste-wise. (The organic peanut butter was a different brand than the other two, so it's very possible that another organic peanut butter might fare better.)
  • Most of our tasters noted that the regular peanut butter had a slightly gritty texture, which is probably due to the added sugar, but also surprised us since the presence of partially hydrogenated oils traditionally emulsifies peanut butter into silky smoothness."

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have always loved Peter Pan Peanut butter (I like the crunchy). But Trader Joe's peanut butter is WONDERFUL!! Only roasted peanuts and salt in the ingredients list.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
natural pb is great, tho an acquired taste. that term,- natural,- is thrown about too often & too loosely. half of those pb's labeled as as natural aren't.
look 4 floating oil on that pb. that would be natural.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
natural pb is great, tho an acquired taste. that term,- natural,- is thrown about too often & too loosely. half of those pb's labeled as as natural aren't.
look 4 floating oil on that pb. that would be natural.

YUP Trader Joe's peanut butter (or any of their other "butters" almond etc.) need the oil stirred in and then stored in the fridge.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
YUP Trader Joe's peanut butter (or any of their other "butters" almond etc.) need the oil stirred in and then stored in the fridge.

yep! we used to turn ours over onto its lid between uses- its oil would float in reverse (not in a 'fridge- we would use that stuff so quickly.) was not a task to stir in, then. & my griping Mom saying there was grease on her counters.

Last edited:

Saliha

Peanut butter is not A THING in here but I have seen that when I have come to older I have started to enjoy more as natural flavours. Like sweet flavour of berries (berries with un-sweetened yoghurt or vanilla ice cream for example).

I think it is a lot of a cultural matter how sweet is enough sweet to you. I have ate some sweets from my Iraqi friends here and to me it was too sweet to eat more than a little bite. Also my Somali friends put to they coffee cup half of coffee and half of sugar.

:yuk:

Last edited:

Saliha

I also served chai tea to my Iraqi friends and Somali friends. Iraqis said too sweet and Somalis asked more sugar (it cointained vanilla sugar and sweetened condensed milk).

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have always loved Peter Pan Peanut butter (I like the crunchy). But Trader Joe's peanut butter is WONDERFUL!! Only roasted peanuts and salt in the ingredients list.

I like Skippy All Natural with honey. I was eating regular Skippy with honey, but that one is made using hydrogenated vegetable oil - a transfat, so I don't buy that one any more. :eating2:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you have no health issues
and no weight issues
and presuming you don't eat nothing but peanut butter,

tell to go pound organic sand and enjoy whatever brand you like!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
probably. i weigh less than 95 & ingest pb often. it's overall Kcals, rather than 1 item. those items they say not to ingest- ii ingest. booze to crisco, pasta, sugars, real pop, full-fat chips to sodium.
my motto is 'dine when you're hungry; quit when you're full.'