Fried White Beans with Bacon

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had the not-so-bright idea to use beans as a base for beef stroganoff, instead of noodles, since we are trying to cut down significantly on carbs.

The not-so-bright part came in the recipe I chose for the beans. Hardly low-calorie! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...eans-with-pancetta-and-sage-recipe/index.html

QBro made this dinner, using dried Great Northern beans, and bacon instead of pancetta (I really prefer the smokey flavor of bacon over pancetta). He doubled the recipe, and the beans were good, but VERRRRRRRRRY heavy and filling.

He used a combination of 3 recipes for the beef stroganoff, using Joy of Cooking's recipe as a base. It was excellent.

Probably won't make the beans again -too heavy.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds awesome! I'll have to try this.

But why did you choose beans if you want to cut carbs? Most beans are pure carbs. Northern or White Beans have 37g of carbs for 4 oz where as macaroni or spaghetti has 37g for 8 oz. So you actually get half the carbs with the pasta over the beans. Although the beans are a "slow burning" carb leaving you full longer....thus that heavy feeling.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I wonder how spaghetti squash would be in this recipe? With only 5g of carbs for 4 oz, it's a great low carb alternative.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
But why did you choose beans if you want to cut carbs? Most beans are pure carbs. Northern or White Beans have 37g of carbs for 4 oz where as macaroni or spaghetti has 37g for 8 oz. So you actually get half the carbs with the pasta over the beans. Although the beans are a "slow burning" carb leaving you full longer....thus that heavy feeling.

Eh, I didn't research it at all, Chris - just assumed that I'd be improving my diet if I ate beans over pasta.

Looks like it wasn't a good decision on any level. :neutral:

Ya live and learn. ;)

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Eh, I didn't research it at all, Chris - just assumed that I'd be improving my diet if I ate beans over pasta.

Looks like it wasn't a good decision on any level. :neutral:

Ya live and learn. ;)

Lee

Hope I didn’t come off as an ass! Just years of physiology, kinesiology, diet & exercise planning, etc, come through on occasion. :oops:

Either way, I STILL like this recipe. I’ve seen many vegetarian recipes that use beans as a base, and I’m dying to experiment with that, and this is now on the to-do list!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My husband would love those beans. So you cook the beans, drain them, cool them, and then dredge them in flour and fry. I have never heard of that method. From the looks of your pic, they look really tasty with lots of little crispy tidbits :brows:. Stroganoff looks very tasty too.