Heavy Cream Substitute (Cooking only)

elw511

Found a great heavy cream substitute to use for cooking only.

Here is the link to the recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Low-fat-Heavy-Cream-Substitute-113203

Basically use 8 oz cottage cheese (I use regular cottage cheese) & 3 T powdered milk. Then blend together in a blender or food processor until smooth or however you would like it. This makes about 1 cup. So, you can use this substitute for 1 cup of heavy cream.

I have used this on two Olive Garden recipes, the alfredo sauce and the tuscan garlic chicken. It was great and I think it tasted a little bit better than Olive Garden's recipe.

Great substitute if you are watching the amount of fat you are eating.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Emmeline!!!!!!
Thanks for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kewl.
Hope your vacation is going well. :thumb:
I'm having a 'Dave" day here. :puke1:

Welcome to Net Cooking Talk ...I hope you'll post often. :D :thumb:

elw511

Doc - how did you know it was me? Nothing much here. Trying a few different recipes today. Glad you are having fun with dave... :lol:

jim_slagle - Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! Hope this substitute work out for you. Eventually I'll try this in a soup that uses heavy cream...

chowhound

Old post, but cool substitute.
I would have to go buy the cottage cheese, but I like cottage cheese and know I would eat what I don't use. If I went out to buy heavy cream, it would be used for the one recipe and sit til it went bad.
I'm writing this one down and putting it with my cooking notes/recipes.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Very cool. I never have a problem using up my heavy cream as I use it in coffee all the time. But this is good for cutting fat out!
Thanks!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - how did you know it was me? Nothing much here. Trying a few different recipes today. Glad you are having fun with dave... :lol:

jim_slagle - Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! Hope this substitute work out for you. Eventually I'll try this in a soup that uses heavy cream...

:yum: I have my ways. :D The elw kinda gave it away. :D
elw = Emmeline
Emmeline and I work together, and Emm wants a Chili recipe. I'll ask for it in another thread Emm, so be sure to check that out.