Annie's Peanut Butter Cookies

FryBoy

My wife and I love peanut butter cookies, and over the years have tried many different recipes. We've found that some are too sweet, some have the wrong texture, some don't have much peanut flavor, others are just odd, overdone with extraneous ingredients. We always come back to my mother's simple handwritten recipe, which we think are perfect.

MOM’S PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
(Annie Collins, 1911 - 1970)

Mix:
½ cup shortening (Crisco)
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
1 egg

Sift & Add:
1 cup sifted flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt

Roll in balls the size of a walnut and flatten with a fork dipped in flour (make crisscross marks on each cookie with the tines of the fork).

Bake 8 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Deelady

Sounds great!! Have you ever added chocolate chips to the recipe?? YUM!

Thank you for sharing!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Love peanut butter cookies! And chocolate chips are a great addition, or a Hershey's Kiss right in the middle as soon as they come out of the oven!!

FryBoy

Sounds great!! Have you ever added chocolate chips to the recipe?? YUM!

Thank you for sharing!!
Might be worth a try.

However, these peanut butter cookies are quite sweet, and to me they taste as if they have honey in them -- which they don't of course, but that's the flavor I get.

Peanut butter and honey are a great flavor combination, as are peanut butter and chocolate, but for some reason the idea of mixing honey and chocolate flavors doesn't sound too good to me.

So, you might want to add chips to half the dough the first time. If it works out, great; if the peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies aren't so great, at least you would have some good peanut butter cookies to nibble on.

I will have to try that recipe. Good Peanut Butter Cookies are a great thing.

I had a really good recipe and lost it in a move about 15 years ago. Maybe now with keeping things on the Comp that wont happen anymore.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter do go together well, but for me, a lot of times even things going together well is not enough. Sometimes I just like something really basic, like the plain cookie, nothing added. I think that is the way I would prefer these.

FryBoy

...for me, a lot of times even things going together well is not enough. Sometimes I just like something really basic, like the plain cookie, nothing added....
I agree completely, DBTRS! I do like complex dishes and mixes of flavors, but sometimes simple is best.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've gotta give this a try. Normally I'm anti candy and sweet thingies but must admit I'm a slave (addicted) to commercial peanut butter cups.