Strawberry Bagatelle with Apricot Glaze

I haven't made this confection yet but a friend and I are going to be putting this amazing thing together in a few days. It has 33 steps to completion, including a marzipan decorative topping over the Apricot Glaze
and is a "heart attach on a cake plate" Once we complete this monster, I'll take photos and post the recipe if anyone's interested in seeing it. Should be an education for Heidi and me!! :heart:

Fallon

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, please post a photo and the recipe!

Sounds like it's a good thing you have a partner in making this one, Fallon!

Lee

Yes, indeed, I'm very fortunate to have help in making this monster cake! I wouldn't dare to try something this ambitious all on my own! Heidi works for a large bakery in Derry, New Hampshire and specializes in things like wedding cakes and decorative things of that nature, so her help will be invaluable..............this cake isn't for anyone in particular - more of a learning experience for me. The foundation ge'noise has to be split horizontally and that's extremely scary to me. I've never been able to successfully split a cake layer! So any help I can get will be gratefully accepted......... :cooking::cooking:

The progress on the Strawberry Bagatelle didn't go at all well - we worked our way up to it on Wednesday and worked on it over the next day and a half - the cake portion (Ge'noise) fell twice and I was in tears. Heidi finally got the thing to hold up and stay where we put it and then we forged ahead to the next couple of levels and it all fell apart once again. I don't know if I have either the patience or the money to keep at this but Heidi is determined and so on Sunday we launch once more. Wish us luck!
Both Heidi's husband and mine claim that they intend to go play some softball on Sunday morning - They said they can't stand all the stress. Cowards!!! I suspect it's the Navy-style cussing they can't handle......

Heidi turned on a DVD she has of Il Divo and it's soothing enough (those guys are just too sexy!) to perhaps get this thing finally put together - we hope! Do you suppose that's where our stress is coming from? One way or the other, I will post the recipe Sunday night - with or without success on making the monster. I'll post all 33 instructions and maybe someone else can construct it successfully. Be sure to try it while watching Il Divo!

Fallon :confused:

Last edited:
To answer your question, Leni, we used toothpicks partially inserted into the sides of the ge'noise as a guide for cutting and then used a long, serrated edged knife to cut the cake horizontally in half. Part of our problem in cutting this cake in half is the incredible delicacy of the cake itself and the fact that, when split, the layers are so very thin. Lifting the top of the layer back on top of the bottom, once the complete filling is put in place was next to impossible without totally losing it - which we did on two trys. Very frustrating!

I just typed the entire recipe out to post but by the time I got it all typed up (and it was an arduous job, believe me) my logon had timed out and when I tried to re-log on I simply lost the whole thing! That really put the nutshells in the icing of this entire venture!

If someone can tell me how to prevent that from happening another time, I'll try to repost this thing later on.

Fallon :huh:

Last edited:
Thanks, Leni, for the suggestion. Such a simple solution to a knotty problem! I'd actually considered doing exactly that, with a continuation notice at the end of each post, before I first typed the whole thing up but realized that it would entail somewhere between fifteen and twenty separate posts and didn't think I should tie up the thread all that much. I guess I need to hear from a moderator to let me know if it's okay to do.

Fallon :idea:

DanMcG

If someone can tell me how to prevent that from happening another time, I'll try to repost this thing later on.

I've had this problem on other sites. so now I will usually type it all out in something like Microsoft Word, edit it, add pic's then copy and paste it to the forum.
Dan

Thanks, Dan, for your advice. My friend's husband made a similar suggestion and apparently, this would work really well and not involve timing out and irritants such as that.

When all's said and done, however, I'd still feel more comfortable to hear from one of the mods that it's okay to post something this long and involved.

Fallon :whistling: