What exactly are hash browns?

chowhound

I've never made hash browns or used them in a recipe, but I've seen some recipes here calling for them that I'd like to try. I know that they are some kind of shredded potato. Is that it? Is there any difference in the ones you buy frozen and if I were to throw a couple russets in the food processor?
I'm making out a small shopping list and see the frozen ones are on sale, but I'd just as soon make them myself if it's no big deal.

Lefty

Yank
I coarse grate my potatos then use a dishcloth to squeeze out the excess moisure. Then season them and pan fry in half butter half olive oil. The seasoning is usually salt pepper and paprika, sometimes I will sub some garlic grill seasoning or something else just to change it up a little. I fry them on meduim heat until golden grown then flip just once.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
it all depends where you live on what you call hashbrowns. some call them homefries etc etc

imgname--baked_hash_browns---50226711--hashbrown.jpg

1187463900-98827_full.jpg

Diced%20potatoes.jpg

lilylove

So...if I do the same thing but cube my potatoes instead of grating? Then what are they?

Other than very tasty?

Calicolady

You use peeled russetts and your box grater, joe, to shred potatoes.
The secret I've found it to make sure potatoes are dry. You can either press them in papertowels or ring them in a clean, dry dishtowel.
I heat a cast iron fry pan til hot. Then add oil & make sure it's good & hot, but not smoking.
I add alittle salt & pepper. Then leave them alone-don't adjust or move them around.
Don't flip them until that side is golden brown, crispy.

Hash browns are my second favorite only to mashed. YUM!
Then repaet on second side.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I do mine as follows:

Hash Browns
Ingredients
2 potatoes, peeled
1 small onion
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Directions
Shred potatoes on hand held grater. Squeeze out liquid from potatoes.
Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium high heat add onions and cook until caramelized then removed the onions. Add some more butter to skillet and add shredded potatoes and let cook for a couple of minutes then add back the onions. Now mix the onions and potatoes together. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle potatoes with more butter. Cook until golden brown and then flip. Finish cooking in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

I've added garlic to it in the past but a bit strong sometimes for breakfast. I love them myself but usually don't make them till the weekends.

Wart

Banned
So...if I do the same thing but cube my potatoes instead of grating? Then what are they?

Hash browns.

As has been said, depends where your at depends what their called.

I make hash browns both ways, sliced or grated. I use onion, garlic, a touch of Cayenne, pepper and salt.

chowhound

Home fries around here are anything BUT shredded. And fried with or without onions.
I think I was thinking that hash browns were "processesed" in such a way to ..... I don't know, give them their texture or something. Like lefty said, make sure you squeeze the moisture out of them if you make them yourself. I've never looked at a bag of hash browns to see exactly what the ingredients are.

Lefty

Yank
To me, hash browns are grated, and cubed are home fries. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't mind.

Lefty

Yank
Home fries around here are anything BUT shredded. And fried with or without onions.
I think I was thinking that hash browns were "processesed" in such a way to ..... I don't know, give them their texture or something. Like lefty said, make sure you squeeze the moisture out of them if you make them yourself. I've never looked at a bag of hash browns to see exactly what the ingredients are.

Yes, home fries can be with or without onion.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hash Brown Casserole Recipe

* 1 bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (2 lbs)
* 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* ½ cup melted butter
* 1 ½ tsp salt
* 1 small onion (chopped)
* 1 can 10 ¾ oz cream soup (cream of chicken or cream of mushroom work very well)
* 1 cup sour cream
* 2 cups crushed Corn Flakes
* ¼ cup melted butter

Directions:

1. As mentioned above, thaw hash browns (or use refrigerator style hash browns).
2. In a large bowl, mix together hash browns, cheddar cheese, ½ cup melted butter, salt, onion, soup, and sour cream. Stir until evenly mixed.
3. Spray a 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 inch pan or casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease the dish. This helps on clean up.
4. Pour mixture from bowl into pan and spread evenly with a spoon. Do not pack down tightly.
5. In a small bowl, mix together Corn Flakes and ¼ cup melted butter. Mix together and spread on top of casserole.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes without a lid. The top should be lightly browned when done.

chowhound

OK. New question: Are the ones you buy frozen in a raw state or partially cooked?
The recipe I have printed out somewhere is a breakfast recipe calling for a layer of hash browns. So If I make my own and squeeze out the moisture, that should be the same as if I poured them out of a bag, right?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
OK. New question: Are the ones you buy frozen in a raw state or partially cooked?
The recipe I have printed out somewhere is a breakfast recipe calling for a layer of hash browns. So If I make my own and squeeze out the moisture, that should be the same as if I poured them out of a bag, right?

If the recipe calls for frozen and thawed hashbrowns, there may be a reason for it. I would use whatever the recipe calls for...at least the first time around.

Like BT, I call the cubed potatoes, homefries...and the patties....well, they're just a big, flat tatertot.

These are my hashbrowns:

hashbrowns.jpg

Here's the recipe: Hashbrowns

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok heres where all the confusion really starts.. the manufacturers..lol

from oreida

Ore-Ida® Southern Style Hash Browns
HBSouthstyle.jpg

Ore-Ida® Country Style Hash Browns
hrhasbrown.jpg

Ore-Ida® Toaster Hash Browns
t_hash_browns.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
None of these recipes call for using a FP with a shredding disc? Is there any reason?

Most potatoes are high in starch and will probably oxidize if you use a food processor. Do you have a mandolin? Or maybe use a yukon gold potato.