Wish me luck

Jeff G.

Tomorrow my chili is the Universities entry in the local Chili cook off. It is a CASI event but we are not eligible since I pre-cooked in the university kitchen.

All I can say is if I don't win...there are some great chilis there.

Here is the ingredients for the chili.....

Sirlion cut into cubes, diced tomatoes, Peppers--Cerrano, Jalapeno, Annaheim, Poblano, Hungarian, Fresno's, Green Cayene..all diced,
Onion, garlic, chili powder, a little peanut butter, and the 2 secret ingredients...(scotch and Tony's Cajun spices).. tomato juice, chili beans, juice from the jar of banana peppers, other spices as the mood strikes.

It's hot, but not killer hot, rich with complex flavors...
I'll report back win or lose..
I hope I made enough, I ended up with 8 gallons.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
All the best to you Jeff. Enjoy the contest, I'm sure you will do well.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!
tatty-teddy-good-luck-mc1.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
best of luck, jeff!!!

hey, have you ever tried "marinating" your sirloin cubes with some lamb fat, or fatty chunks? it gives the beef a really good flavor; sets it apart. not quite beef, not quite lamb.

Jeff G.

Well, frankly I thought our chili was the best, I tasted everyones. We didn't win. The ones that did win.. frankly I didn't think were very good. A lot of people felt the same way.

this contest has become more of a popularity contest than a food contest. The chili that won.. St Joseph hospital... The hospital and Catholic church urged their members to go out and vote for them.. so they did.

It was still a lot of fun and good exposure for the University. A lot of people that were there for the chili were very surprised by the chilis that won.

The crowds were way down this year.. I hope they do another one next year, I would hate to see this fade away.

If the University does it again, we will push to get our people there too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So this is a "People's Choice" contest? Where the public knows whose chili is which and votes? Yeah, that's often more about the cooks than the products.

But I bet it was fun for you and that your University got something out of it as well!

Lee

Lefty

Yank
That sucks, I like contests that people don't know who's is who's, that way the best tasting one wins.

Jeff G.

So this is a "People's Choice" contest? Where the public knows whose chili is which and votes? Yeah, that's often more about the cooks than the products.

But I bet it was fun for you and that your University got something out of it as well!

Lee
Yes, we handed out some literature.. it's good for the University to get out and interact with the rest of the area.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Lefty. I am glad you had fun. We will look forward to your next Cook off!
I make a real easy Chili- I will post later.

PanchoHambre

Well, frankly I thought our chili was the best, I tasted everyones. We didn't win. The ones that did win.. frankly I didn't think were very good. A lot of people felt the same way.

this contest has become more of a popularity contest than a food contest. The chili that won.. St Joseph hospital... The hospital and Catholic church urged their members to go out and vote for them.. so they did.

That sucks... agreed it should be blind

The real fun is tasting all the chilis though

My office cookoff was blind (sort of) but the best did win.. not mine LOL

buckytom

Grill Master
jeff, i think that you should nail a protest to the door of the church, urging them to be reasonable about modern society, and cooking contests. :mrgreen:

lol, the church of the jefformation, or something like that...

Calicolady

Oops. I missed another thread.
Glad you had the um, gumption to enter and had a good time.
Eating is the best part, so maybe you'll win next time. Thanks for sharing. Pics would have been nice. Maybe next time also, eh?