Frogmore Stew

IamSam

We're doing Frogmore Stew for the holiday weekend. Looks like the body count is 25 - 30. We have several recipes, but has anyone tried this before? Just lookin' for some helpful hints.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've never even heard of it - I had to Google it. It does look really delicious, though.

Jeff G.

When we made it, no seafood was used. Lots of large cut veggies, sausage, beef, pork(whatever meat you have around).. corn on the cob cut in half on top.

Toss all of it in a big metal trashcan over a fire, add stout and cook...

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Frogmore stew is wonderful and great for a crowd. The only way that I've ever had it was with shrimp, sausage (in casings cut into about 2" pieces), small (whole) red potatoes, and corn-on-the cob (halves). I would just say to make sure that your water is plenty spicy (lots of Old Bay) and add things to the pot based on their cooking time. You don't want to overcook and have the potatoes burst and cook to nothingness. And you don't want rubber shrimp. I have seen people cut the legs from panty hose and put the potatoes in there so that they can be easily "fished out". Have fun!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
oops :( hit the button twice--I need to wake up

Last edited:

Constance

We make Frogmore Stew often, and it's great! I like to use Zatarains crab boil, the kind in the little bag, but Old Bay is good too. Throw in several quartered lemons, quartered sweet onions, a stick of butter, the new potatoes and chunked smoked sausage and let cook until potatoes start to get tender. Then add sweet corn and when pot comes back to a boil, add your shrimp. When they turn pink (just a couple of minutes), remove from heat.
Spread newspapers out on the table, set out another stick of butter and a roll of paper towels for napkins. Yummy!

Attachments

• amaryllis and orchid0003.jpg
    amaryllis and orchid0003.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 123
  • amaryllis and orchid0008.jpg
    amaryllis and orchid0008.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
  • amaryllis and orchid0014.jpg
    amaryllis and orchid0014.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 121

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Constance, that looks spectacular!!! I love the pics! Plus, tell your beautiful dining companion I said hello - she's one of my favorite people!