Cookbook Bookcases

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I want real wooden bookcases for my cookbook collection and I am even considering barrister bookcases that have doors with glass windows. I may need several. Does anyone have any ideas? Something white would work best and I don't wish to attach them to the wall.

FryBoy

We had bookshelves for our cookbook collection made when we moved to this house to replace the built-in shelves that were in our old house. We have a large one in the family room and three smaller ones for the breakfast room. I suggest you contact a cabinet maker, or check with your local furniture store to see if they do custom work.

Also, you may be able to find someone who specializes in making bookshelves for law offices -- I found such a person back when I had a real job and needed shelving for our office library.

Neither option is inexpensive. You might do better price-wise buying pre-made shelves at a regular furniture store.

BTW, I think that glass windows on bookshelves are a PITA -- from what I've observed, very few law offices use them anymore.

Attachments

• Cookbooks I 9-11-06.jpg
    Cookbooks I 9-11-06.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Cookbooks II 9-11-06.jpg
    Cookbooks II 9-11-06.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 212

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Susan,

I've also been looking for new bookcases for my cookbooks (and my music book, and my lighting books, and my political books, and......)

I think I've finally settled on Ikea. You can create the configuration you want, make them all the way to the ceiling, put solid doors on a few, glass doors on a couple, etc. I'm going to 2 entire walls in one room.

Are you anywhere near an Ikea?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I only own 2 cookbooks anymore since Hurricane Andrew took my book collection. I know keep them on the computer only as that survived the storm mostly intact and I was able to recover the data on the hard drive. I know back mine up regularly to CD/DVD as well as an external HD. Now most of the base recipes I use pretty much come from groups like this and the Internet cooking web sites. I do get a couple of magazines though really don't try much from them though I do read them from cover to cover.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Susan,

I've also been looking for new bookcases for my cookbooks (and my music book, and my lighting books, and my political books, and......)

I think I've finally settled on Ikea. You can create the configuration you want, make them all the way to the ceiling, put solid doors on a few, glass doors on a couple, etc. I'm going to 2 entire walls in one room.

Are you anywhere near an Ikea?

I have been to the IKEA in south fla. Their cases need to braced to the wall--they are too lightweight. It was the first place that I looked.

Deelady

We had bookshelves for our cookbook collection made when we moved to this house to replace the built-in shelves that were in our old house. We have a large one in the family room and three smaller ones for the breakfast room. I suggest you contact a cabinet maker, or check with your local furniture store to see if they do custom work.

Also, you may be able to find someone who specializes in making bookshelves for law offices -- I found such a person back when I had a real job and needed shelving for our office library.

Neither option is inexpensive. You might do better price-wise buying pre-made shelves at a regular furniture store.

BTW, I think that glass windows on bookshelves are a PITA -- from what I've observed, very few law offices use them anymore.

Oh my!!! I died and went to Heaven!! And I thought I had alot of cookbooks! lol not even close to you! Very nice!!

Rob Babcock

Well I only own 2 cookbooks anymore since Hurricane Andrew took my book collection. I know keep them on the computer only as that survived the storm mostly intact and I was able to recover the data on the hard drive. I know back mine up regularly to CD/DVD as well as an external HD. Now most of the base recipes I use pretty much come from groups like this and the Internet cooking web sites. I do get a couple of magazines though really don't try much from them though I do read them from cover to cover.

A coworker and I were talking about cookbooks a few days ago, too. He asked how many I had and I replied probably about 50 or so, but that I hardly ever buy them anymore. I do buy some wine books and a keep up with new editions of The Food Lover's Companion, but for the most part it's faster & more effective for me to Google a recipe than purchase a book. It's easier to find, more up to date and more economical.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have more baking books than I care to count. I probably need 4-5 large bookcases. I also have other cookbooks but my focus has been on baking.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I want real wooden bookcases for my cookbook collection and I am even considering barrister bookcases that have doors with glass windows. I may need several. Does anyone have any ideas? Something white would work best and I don't wish to attach them to the wall.
If you are considering custom cabinets, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you a name and phone number of a friend who does a lot of work in your area. He's a cabinet and furniture maker, and has made several pieces for Brewster & Stroud in Chargin Falls. It won't cost you anything to get a quote.

FryBoy

...for the most part it's faster & more effective for me to Google a recipe than purchase a book. It's easier to find, more up to date and more economical.
That's true, but it's simply not what books -- cookbooks or otherwise -- are about. If you don't understand, then there's no sense in trying to explain it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
FB, I agree with you. When we move away from books, I shall be very saddened. It is a pleasure to hold one in your hands especially when it is new and it is a pleasure when one becomes worn out because it is well loved. Books are respositorys of history. Electronic media can be easily changed. Books unless destroyed cannot be altered.
Sigh.