1 tsp Onion Powder
1 16 oz beer, your favorite kind
1 Tbsp butter (or Olive Oil)

Hot Dog Buns (I used “Snuggles”)
Ketchup
Yellow Mustard

Jalapeno Slices (Optional)

Procedure
Slice steak thinly, on a bias, and across the grain. In a small bowl, add Olive Oil, Garlic and Onion powder. Mix well. Add sliced meat and toss well to coat. Cover bowl and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.

In a medium sized pot, add beer and Hot Dogs. Cover and simmer till dogs are done.

In skillet, melt butter and add the diced Bell pepper. Sautee until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove to a covered dish and keep warm.

In same skillet, add sliced and marinated meat. Sautee until medium, about 4 minutes. Remove to a covered dish and keep warm.

On a Hot Dog Bun, slather on a thin layer of ketchup and mustard. Add a Hot Dog. Now add several strips of the cooked beef lengthwise over the hot dog. Now add some of the sautéed Bell Pepper. If using Jalapeno slices, add them as well. Finally, top with Swiss Cheese. Place the whole construct under a hot broiler to melt the cheese, about 2 minutes.

Notes
I was going to use Ribeye for this, but DW refused to pay 10 bucks for a steak I was going to cut up and put on a Hot Dog! :lol: So she bought thinly sliced Top Sirloin, and it worked really well.

Pictures

The Hot Dogs in beer.
Step_2-28.jpg

The Bell Pepper.
Step_3-24.jpg

The Steak slices.
Step_1-27.jpg

Step_4-22.jpg

Bringing it together.
Step_5-17.jpg

step_6-16.jpg

Step_7-12.jpg

Step_8-10.jpg

Finished.
Step_9-8.jpg

Step_9a.jpg

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

I have never seen such a creation here in Philly.... im not sure why though it looks f'ing great...

for authenticity I would take mine "wit wiz"
(onions and cheese whiz)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys! Enough for eveybody! Come round, we can even do them "wit wiz". Step right up!

chowhound

Great looking hot dogs.
I don't think we have those buns around here. They are nice and deep looking for a loaded up dog. That "topping" is a meal in itself!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never seen those bun either, but I'll be looking for them. Dog looks great.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
How do those buns compare with regular hotdog buns? Are they soft, chewy? I like a minimum amount of bread with my dogs. Do they seem like there is too much bread?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
To be honest, I’d never seen these buns before either! DW brought them home for the IC Hot Dog challenge. She got them at Publix....and I have a feeling we may never be able to find them again. It was just luck I suppose, and meant to be since we were doing the IC Hot Dog challenge! :smile:

http://www.toufayan.com/Products/product-snuggles.php

The buns are a little chewy and not as soft as a regular bun. They have the same texture as a flat bread. Also, they are a bit bigger, so there is more bread to eat than with a regular bun. Like a flat bread, they are firm meaning you can really load on the toppings and they won’t deform or give way.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For hot dogs, I always boil water, then turn it off, put the dogs in, cover and time them for 10 minutes.

I can't believe I never thought to use BEER instead of water!!! :pat:

Great idea, Keltin!

The rest of the hot dog looks fantastic, but I'm going to do mine plain, in beer, next time!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For hot dogs, I always boil water, then turn it off, put the dogs in, cover and time them for 10 minutes.

I can't believe I never thought to use BEER instead of water!!! :pat:

Great idea, Keltin!

The rest of the hot dog looks fantastic, but I'm going to do mine plain, in beer, next time!

Lee

Oh you must try the beer!! It imparts such a wonderful flavor and smells great as it's cooking. Let us know how you like it!