Mac & cheese

Derek

Banned
I will be making mac & cheese for my folks On Sunday, I'm going to use this recipe.

• 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups warm milk
  • 5 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
  • 1 large onion, diced "Going to be replacing it with a Spanish onion)
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed ( going to slow rast these tomorrow night )
  • Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
  • 2 cups frozen peas, thawed in a colander under cool water ( Fresh not frozen )
That will be the changes, And then scallions as a garnish.

Should be yummy don'tcha think?

High Cheese

Saucier
What's the method? Those regular yellow onions you see in big 'ol net bags are Spanish onions. Most supermarkets have: Yellow (Spanish); white, red and Vidalia...as far as larger round onions. Make sure you saute the onion first.

Frozen veggies are as good as or better than fresh ones. Espescially things like peas and such. They are harvested at the peak of freshness then immediately frozen. You may be confusing frozen with canned. Canned veggies suck IMO....except for canned corn.

The roasted garlic..."meh" it may or may not add to the dish. Just remember that if the recipe tells you to cook the garlic, just add it in since it's already cooked.

Looks like you'll be making a roux then a bechamel. Make sure the flour is completely incorporated into the butter before you add any other ingredient.

Derek

Banned
What's the method? Those regular yellow onions you see in big 'ol net bags are Spanish onions. Most supermarkets have: Yellow (Spanish); white, red and Vidalia...as far as larger round onions. Make sure you saute the onion first.

Frozen veggies are as good as or better than fresh ones. Espescially things like peas and such. They are harvested at the peak of freshness then immediately frozen. You may be confusing frozen with canned. Canned veggies suck IMO....except for canned corn.

The roasted garlic..."meh" it may or may not add to the dish. Just remember that if the recipe tells you to cook the garlic, just add it in since it's already cooked.

Looks like you'll be making a roux then a bechamel. Make sure the flour is completely incorporated into the butter before you add any other ingredient.
About the roux, Your correct sir, I'll be making one for the mac & cheese, and I will be oven baking it.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I wouldn't substitute a large onion for a Spanish onion. In my opinion it will throw the flavor way off...

Derek

Banned
Sounds wonderful Derek! Please show pics when it's done, I'd love to see it! :)
Of coarse RicksMom, Don't I always post my aftermath on here :wink::whistle:

I wouldn't substitute a large onion for a Spanish onion. In my opinion it will throw the flavor way off...
Riob, It shouldn't throw off the flavor too much, Maybe I will do what I did with my enchilada mix. I had a half of a Spanish onion and half of a yellow left, I mixed the 2 onions toger and it gave an awesome flavor.

Maybe I'll do something along thouse lines here in the Mac & cheese recipe.

lilylove

I'd go with just a mild onion for this Derek... a little onion flavor is nice but you want the CHEESE flavor to really stand out in mac and cheese. (at least we do)

Derek

Banned
I'd go with just a mild onion for this Derek... a little onion flavor is nice but you want the CHEESE flavor to really stand out in mac and cheese. (at least we do)
Same here Trish, I could go with the a bag of shallots, Those are mild & so are leeks.