Easy Sloppy Joe's

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
sloppyjoes.jpg

This is a classic homemade sloppy joe recipe that you can have on the table in about 30 minutes.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup water

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.
Serve on toasted buns.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks. It's dinner time and that picture made me hungry. Time to go and do some cooking.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We love making these! I don't use the garlic powder anymore, just diced garlic in EVOO from the jar. I still use fresh for most stuff but for some recipes the diced is very convenient.
We also add in one yellow pepper and one red pepper, and some liquid smoke, and instead of ketchup I use half BBQ sauce and half ketchup.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama's Easy Sloppy Joes

I thought that I had posted this recipe a long time ago but apparently not so here it is. Made this for lunch today! YUM!

Attachments

• easy-sloppy-joes.jpg
    easy-sloppy-joes.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:bump: Ha! I knew it was on here. I know I'm really bad about it, but maybe we should be more careful about adding tags. It doesn't show up with a search for sloppy joes.

Again, these are great. I've made them several times. :thumb:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Cooksie! I'll merge the threads. It's good to know that I'm not losing my mind....well, maybe not all of it anyway :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Re: Mama's Easy Sloppy Joes

I thought that I had posted this recipe a long time ago but apparently not so here it is. Made this for lunch today! YUM!

I use a similar recipe that I have listed as coming from you Mama. :chef: I have made a few changes though (added a few things). I use real garlic and not the powder. I also add a 50/50 mix of Ketchup and BBQsaucee as well as just a splash of Frank's hotsaucee (depending on BBQ sauce used). I also add a teaspoon of cumin, a drop or two ofTabascoo. Now I never did use water in it simply saute the onions, peppers up a bit then brown the meat etc.