smoked hock ideas

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have any number of recipes for smoked ham hocks and (legumes)

but nothing I every considered really stellar -

any killer combo of hocks&beans?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found this in my files. Haven't made it yet, but I'm dying to try it. Maybe this Fall.

Lee

Dirty Black Eyed Peas
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

1/2 pound raw bacon, diced
2 cups chopped onions
4 ounces pickled pork meat, cubed
2 smoked ham hocks, about 3 to 4 ounces each
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 pound dried black eyed peas
10 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper

In a large pan, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Season the onions with salt and pepper. Stir in the pickled pork meat and ham hocks. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, black eyed peas and chicken stock. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender. Remove the pork meat and ham hock from the peas. Thinly slice both meats and add back to the peas. Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
red kidney beans has not been tried - so that's on the stove now! thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 201

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Dad's- those being hawks, legumes, an acidic item (vinegar; citrus), seasoning (old bay, garlic, u may well have a pantry-- sage is my not-so-so secret item); may well add garlic, onion, -- instinct--

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the ham hock has defended it's honor well . . .
cut the linked recipe in half (which is half of the original...) for two - definitely plenty!
over white rice -

hhcomp1.jpg

IMG_0823s.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
and speaking of bread . . .

no - plain ole' storebought stuff. summer (running the a/c) I don't bake a lot.

for long time we've rotated through the various Pepperridge Farm types. with local bakery loaves tossed in. couple months back Pepperridge showed up with "New" stickers - changed their recipes and we just don't care for it anymore. switched over to Arnolds . . .

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love Arnold brand bread too, but hadn't really noticed a change with Pepperidge Farm.
I like their swirl bread for toasting @ brekkie.