My version of a Sloppy Joe

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe's Sloppy Joe's
This recipe was originally base on a Allrecipes.com recipe that I changed some what. My changes are noted below except for the optional which I use all the time so not an option for me. I also changed from garlic powder to garlic as I'm not a fan of garlic powder. The original recipe called for yellow mustard but I prefer the noted types instead of.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove of crushed or diced garlic
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use Cajun or spiced mustard but your choice)
3/4 cup ketchup (I use a combo of ketchup and Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle)
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Optional additions:
1 teaspoon hot sauce ( I like Frank's for this but others will do even Tabasco)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chunky salsa (I also like hot)
1 teaspoon of cumin

Directions:
I use a 4 qt. sauté pan but a skillet would work fine also. I heat the pan over medium heat, browning the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar (optional ingredients if using); mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I then serve on good quality hamburger buns sometimes I will also butter them a bit slightly toasted.

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Servings: 6

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I like it a bit spicier than most here would so taste before adding any of the hotter ingredients or use with caution.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Now I like it a bit spicier than most here would so taste before adding any of the hotter ingredients or use with caution.
gottcha!! we all like it hot except one daughter who is picky about her hot!! LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Then if she is eating I recommend you leave out the options with the exception of the Worcestershire sauce and cumin but if you like use the mild chunky salsa instead of the hot. You might want to mix a 50/50 of ketchup and say KC original instead of the Baby Ray's or use the regular Baby Ray's. I've tried it with just ketchup as the original recipe called for and didn't care for it much but have tried it with BBQ sauces and Ketchup with great results. Keep in mind though the ketchup will cut a bit of a spicy BBQ sauces heat.

abi_csi

I've never had or heard of a Sloppy Joe, it must be an American delicacy, but I think I'll give it a go now, sounds tasty!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never had or heard of a Sloppy Joe, it must be an American delicacy, but I think I'll give it a go now, sounds tasty!

Once you pick one up to eat it you will understand the name. I not sure where this came from but I've eaten them since my grandmother used to make them when I was a kid. Probably comes from so depression dish as it can be very inexpensive to make.

I was wondering what I wanted for dinner tonight and decided on making this with some home made Cajun fries.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Your Sloppy Joe recipe is almost identical to my chili recipe (beef or turkey). I don't use the chunky salsa, but I do use diced tomatoes (drained) for added texture and kidney beans. I also like Frank's hot sauce, and buy it by the quart.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been hankering for a good ole sloppy joe. I like it HOT so I think this will be perfect. Thanks Joe!!!!!! A very timely bump for me. I do believe we'll try it this coming weekend. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Your Sloppy Joe recipe is almost identical to my chili recipe (beef or turkey). I don't use the chunky salsa, but I do use diced tomatoes (drained) for added texture and kidney beans. I also like Frank's hot sauce, and buy it by the quart.

But Joe a Sloppy Joe is not a Chilly Burger...... :yum::yum::yum:

You ought to see my Chilly recipe which includes chocolate, no ground beef as well as no beans at all. Oh and chilly with beans is not chilly in my world, though I do eat in once in a while usually out of a can.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been hankering for a good ole sloppy joe. I like it HOT so I think this will be perfect. Thanks Joe!!!!!! A very timely bump for me. I do believe we'll try it this coming weekend. :thumb:

If you like it a bit on the spicy side Doc then follow the recipe to the letter. If not hot enough then kick it up as they say with some hotter sauces, BBQ sauce or add some hotter peppers to the the bell peppers. I actually have kicked it up a couple more notches just haven't posted some more changes to this recipe. I like hot and my wife puts me to shame in that department as she wants what I class as hell hot.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
But Joe a Sloppy Joe is not a Chilly Burger...... :yum::yum::yum:

You ought to see my Chilly recipe which includes chocolate, no ground beef as well as no beans at all. Oh and chilly with beans is not chilly in my world, though I do eat in once in a while usually out of a can.
Joe, now you got me curious. Would you share your chili recipe?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure I will Doc I use one from Tyler Florence with no changes. It is the best I've ever had bar none and I've had a few of those Texas chilli contest winners. I tried this a few years ago after watching one of his shows and never tasted anything better before or since. We still make it from time to time.

Tyler's Texas Chili Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Ingredients:
Chili Seasoning
3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn meal)
1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Grated queso fresco, for garnish (Mexican cheese)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.

Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Joe. Thanks for posting it. I'll have to talk the wife into trying this one (we're doing the sloppy joes this saturday. :D)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure you will like them if you like hot if not follow the instructions. As for the Chili I haven't posted it because it isn't mine as I use it as is with no changes. If you want beans then simply cook them and add them is all I can say but chilli doesn't have beans in spite of what them damned Yankee's think.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, are you saying those movies showing all the cowboys sitting around the campfire after having chili for dinner are wrong? LOL just kidding ya. Learn something every day. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yep, Blazing Saddle was wrong they had bean in their chili. Damned know nothing Yankees writing the movie. Or that might be Westerners which also have less of a clue.

buckytom

Grill Master
it ain't so cut and dry, josie, although i understand your pride in the heritage of it. but i don't think anyone can really claim that theirs is "the" authentic chili.

from a know nothing, damned yankee:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/history/history_of_chili.asp
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

i like my chili 2 ways. texas style and northern style.

texas style is no beans, of course, for use as more of a topping or condiment for things like hot dogs, burgers, or a filling for tacos.

northern style - with meat and beans, is more for eating out of a bowl (preferrably bread bowl) much like a stew.

anyway, thanks for both recipes. copied and saved. i am definitely going to be making your sloppy joes pretty soon, with your modifications. i've been craving a good sloppy joe. hey, i'll call mine a sloppy josie. :wink:

although, i'm a little afraid to tell you that i'll be using ground turkey. :hide:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've tried it both ways. "With beans" wins, no contest.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've sure had more with bean chili than without. However I love Skyline Chili / Cincinatti Chili which is served with no beans (unless you request them) over spaghetti noodles with plenty of cheddar cheese on top. Add skylines hot sauce to it and you have a treat. :thumb:

Joe, probably a silly question, but how do you eat the chili from the Texas recipe you posted above? In a bowl or over something else?

...and where do you get ancho peppers? What are they? I've never heard of them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love sloppy joes.
Your version sounds really good Joe ;)

Speaking for chili, I like it with or without beans.
My mother used to put elbow macaroni in it.. and it was more like a chili soup.

Doc, I made Cincy chili last week.. nummy!
Sliced green onion really sets it off.

2010-12-24 11-30-05.137.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've sure had more with bean chili than without. However I love Skyline Chili / Cincinatti Chili which is served with no beans (unless you request them) over spaghetti noodles with plenty of cheddar cheese on top. Add skylines hot sauce to it and you have a treat. :thumb:

Joe, probably a silly question, but how do you eat the chili from the Texas recipe you posted above? In a bowl or over something else?

...and where do you get ancho peppers? What are they? I've never heard of them.

All joking aside I like beans in mine too most of the time. When I make it though I usually do it without cooking the beans by themselves. I find the beans are better that way and can be added later to the pot.

In a bowl as the meat pretty much falls apart making a very thick broth such as a stew would have.

Now here we can get both dried (ancho) and fresh (Poblano) one in the same. Even the local WalMart carries them as does Krogers etc. http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/ancho-pepper
McCormick's also has it in powder form, which will work also just takes more.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I doctor my dry Doc!! LOL I hate manwich it's to sweet.
Yeah DW doctors her McCormicks mix also, then still adds the manwich. Without the manwich it was okay, with it I really don't like it, it's not the sweet but I can't put my finger on it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yeah DW doctors her McCormicks mix also, then still adds the manwich. Without the manwich it was okay, with it I really don't like it, it's not the sweet but I can't put my finger on it.
I also doctor the McCormick Chili envelope with extra chili powder, cumin, cayenne, hot paprika, hot sauce. I sometime

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I also doctor the McCormick Chili envelope with extra chili powder, cumin, cayenne, hot paprika, hot sauce. I sometimes add peanut butter and/or dry cocoa powder. Only if no one is looking because they complain it taste nasty. BUT they can never tell WHEN I do add those (without being seen of course) BUT they always think it's the best batch yet!! :yum: :bonk:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Chocolate, I have heard of. But peanut butter??? That's a new one! What does t do to the flavor?
Adds a rich nutty flavor and a sweetness. I can't wait to use the TJ peanut butter, it has nothing in it but roasted peanuts (with the natural peanut oil) and salt. NO SUGAR, no added oils NOT peanut in nature or any of the zillion additives.