Making NCT a friendlier place to be.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Please note that the notice below is from the entire moderator and administrative Staff.​

We have been working trying to make NCT a better place to visit and enjoy each other’s company. In this process, we have contacted several members. Long standing members, new members and some members that “Lurk”, but do not post.

We have gotten a fairly consistent message from this sample of people. That message is that there is a certain amount of “drama” and in some cases “cattiness” going on. Little innuendos here and there, veiled sarcasm, etc. Everyone likes a good joke, no one likes being the butt of a bad joke.

After considerable discussion, we are asking members to “ponder before posting”. What that means is take a look at what you are about to post. How would you feel if that were said to you? Is your post helping the original poster? Is it on topic? This last one needs explanation. We are a community, that is we are a group of friends and friends talk and sometimes the conversation drifts. In Internet terms that is called “thread drift”. This is healthy and OK. If what you are about to post is a completely different topic, please consider starting a new thread. This will also get more attention for your subject and make it easier to find in the future.

What we are advocating is civility. Be nice to each other. If you find a post offensive, report it. That is one of the things that we are here for. That will do two things. First it gives the situation a pause, which may in and of itself defuse it. If not and rules have been violated we can take action to prevent it from escalating and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

In summary, we are not trying to discourage anyone form posting, we are not trying to prevent people from saying what they want. We are trying to migrate to a nicer environment for everyone. Everyone loves a train wreck, no one wants to be in one.

Thank You

The Staff a Net Cooking Talk

Last edited by a moderator:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, mods! This place has often been a haven for me, when my real life gets a little rocky because of family illness, etc. I know that this is true for others, as well. If I become hesitant to post here because of snarkiness, I just quietly withdraw, as I have done in the past. Don't need that in my life. Thanks for recognizing the issue and taking some action. I know that we all appreciate it.

cookingirl

Well, personally, I find this to be an extremely friendly, happy, cohesive forum... I am new and if I ever in the future or past, have offended anyone--I want someone to tell me immediately!! Maybe a couple of 'bad' posts, or messages....we all have to remember that we are people~~ and that means that we are all different, in thoughts, issues, purposes of life...we are here because we love cooking...either recipes, ideas, thoughts, or for friendship.... If we disagree, or want clarification of sorts, there are always PM's... and then the forums.. no one should be abrasive, or overly aggressive to anyone...we are here because we care!! that is the bottom line...We should be civil.. if there is a problem, I honestly feel the moderators are top notch..they are the best.. just PM them or openly ask them for help...they are here for us~~~ to make it a fun, caring, informative site.....remember we are all different, we are all here for different reasons--but it works extremely well....there are many spots here to be serious, or comical...everything in perspective.....many may have had a bad experience elsewhere (hate to even bring that up) but it is time to move on and make new friends....take things with a grain of salt:wink:
In short----I am soooo glad I joined this forum...thank you all---love you all.............:bbq3:

me

Last edited:

loboloco

The only offensive comments I ever got was from a mod. Only one incident and I just mostly ignore that person unless I am providing input for something on one of their threads.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, personally, I find this to be an extremely friendly, happy, cohesive forum... I am new and if I ever in the future or past, have offended anyone--I want someone to tell me immediately!! Maybe a couple of 'bad' posts, or messages....we all have to remember that we are people~~ and that means that we are all different, in thoughts, issues, purposes of life...we are here because we love cooking...either recipes, ideas, thoughts, or for friendship.... If we disagree, or want clarification of sorts, there are always PM's... and then the forums.. no one should be abrasive, or overly aggressive to anyone...we are here because we care!! that is the bottom line...We should be civil.. if there is a problem, I honestly feel the moderators are top notch..they are the best.. just PM them or openly ask them for help...they are here for us~~~ to make it a fun, caring, informative site.....remember we are all different, we are all here for different reasons--but it works extremely well....there are many spots here to be serious, or comical...everything in perspective.....many may have had a bad experience elsewhere (hate to even bring that up) but it is time to move on and make new friends....take things with a grain of salt:wink:
In short----I am soooo glad I joined this forum...thank you all---love you all.............:bbq3:

me

Ahh Thanks CG and thanks MK. :clap: :clap: I appreciate the kind words.

Moderation is done so that it is not easy to abuse CM. If you see something that was missed feel free to report the post.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You guys do a great job, Doc. I always tell my friends that people who love to cook are just the nicest people around, because everyone on this forum is so kind and friendly.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not pointing to anything specific. It's just a general observation.

Like what?

You know, sometimes things happen on forums, and even the moderators get the wrong info from what they observe until they hear from someone personally with a valid explanation.
The written word is often tricky to work out per what is posted and what was meant as such, and sometimes there is information missing.
This is a friendly forum, for those of us who want to make it be just that.
Rock on NCT.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'll be the 1st to say i've posted stuff i shouldn't have, though this is a place where i find people 2 be kind & generally gentle. i dislike being slapped on the wrist 4 posting stuff i posted 2 make other laff, not upset, & shocked that 1 of my posts was pulled after looking @ another thread that was soooo much more than that. & i while i've gotten snarky 2 times, there was a reason 4 that; someone was picking on a pal & we did inadvertantly post 'bout that. i pray this doesn't turn into 1 of those other places
i have been further comprehensive, tho i am not getting why it's accepable 4 some 2 post againt the rules sans being admonished & others 2 post something to offer a joking laff & get griped @?
my humble thoughts on this, & my apologies 4 infractions.
i luv NCT. it's my fave place. very friendly.

QuirkyCookery

That handy little red triangle in the upper hand corner of each post is great for reporting things. I know a lot of people don't know it's there, forget it's there, or think it's only for spam reports. There is an option to say why you're reporting a post, though, and it's a pretty quick way to notify mods of a problem. Even if you're unsure, it's better to report it than let something go that makes you uncomfortable or isn't appropriate for the forums.