Site Supporter
bananabread.jpg

2 cups self-rising flour
4 overripe bananas
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

banana-bread-1.jpg

Mash 2 bananas with a fork and set aside.

banana-bread-2.jpg

Put the bananas and sugar into a large mixing bowl.

banana-bread-3.jpg
Using a mixer with a wire whip attachment, whip the two other bananas
together with the sugar until it makes a light and fluffy banana cream.
This will take several minutes.

banana-bread-4.jpg

Add the melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
Beat well.

banana-bread-6.jpg
Using a rubber spatula, mix in the flour just until incorporated.

banana-bread-7.jpg

Fold in the nuts and the two mashed bananas.

banana-bread-9.jpg

Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Finish cooling on a wire rack. :thumb:

I like to dust the top with powdered sugar.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh CARP! Another of my weaknesses! I LOVE Banana Nut Bread. Especially with coffee. Man that looks good. Do you do mail order????? :lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was thinking the same thing, Keltin. That looks like a magazine pic, Mama!!! Just perfect. Now you know people are gonna be wanting that and the cornbread!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks! With a little help from Keltin, I actually ended up entering the cornbread picture in the Recipezaar contest. It'll be up sometime tomorrow. I'll post the link when it's up. There were two categories, salty and sweet. I would imagine that Derek entered his Onion Rings in the Salty category and I entered my cornbread in the sweet category so we won't be competeing against each other.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks! With a little help from Keltin, I actually ended up entering the cornbread picture in the Recipezaar contest. It'll be up sometime tomorrow. I'll post the link when it's up. There were two categories, salty and sweet. I would imagine that Derek entered his Onion Rings in the Salty category and I entered my cornbread in the sweet category so we won't be competeing against each other.

Awesome!! Go Mama, Go Mama, Go Mama!!!!!! :clap:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, please post the link. I will get all my friends and family to hit it, too! That banana bread deserves it!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ooooh, please post the link. I will get all my friends and family to hit it, too! That banana bread deserves it!

Actually FM, I entered the now infamous "cornbread with butter and honey" pic.

I should have the link tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Actually FM, I entered the now infamous "cornbread with butter and honey" pic.

I should have the link tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!
Duh! It was right there in your post!:bonk: I guess I need to start reading instead of just lookin' at the purty pictures! But the cornbread pic is even better - it has a special place in all of our hearts! We'll do our best to help you win.

Deelady

Just bought a large bunch of bananas and plan to make this as soon as they are ripe enough!!! can't wait :D :D

Johnny West

I had bananas that were past due and made banana bread this afternoon. One was with chocolate chips and the other pecans. The dishes are done and about to turn them out of the pans. I use Martha Stewart’s recipe found on line.

BECD8C9A-E842-4B40-8B1B-501B0490788F.jpeg
C9DDE989-3AF5-4772-8400-646C60C77737.jpeg
BF915DC8-38E2-4E2E-B856-F876B68F0E04.jpeg

Johnny West

The bread tuned out nicely although the bottom of chocolate chip one stuck a bit. I ate the bits left in the pan and it is excellent.
39AC6E96-0BA7-416C-A9C0-DCD566682505.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I have a recipe from an ancient Southern Living cookbook that I use. It has the option of nuts throughout. I changed it a bit and kin of merged with either ATK's or Cook's Country recipe that uses the liquid the bananas exude as they thaw as part of the liquid for the recipe.

Johnny West

I have a recipe from an ancient Southern Living cookbook that I use. It has the option of nuts throughout. I changed it a bit and kin of merged with either ATK's or Cook's Country recipe that uses the liquid the bananas exude as they thaw as part of the liquid for the recipe.
I had read that the liquid is not to be discarded.