North African Chicken

Johnny West

Attachments

• #African Chicken.jpg
    #African Chicken.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 90

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Is that spiralized carrots or sweet potatoes that have been toasted in your picture?

Johnny West

Is that spiralized carrots or sweet potatoes that have been toasted in your picture?

Those are carrots from Trader Joe's and finished off in the oven with the chicken just as you see in my picture. We used spirolized carrots rather than the sticks the recipe called for.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, that dish and recipe look wonderful! Can't say the same about that damned website, though - really aggravating!

I want to make the recipe, but couldn't find a way to copy and paste it. So, I wrote it down (more or less) and will type it in for my own benefit and anyone else who wants it.

Lee

One-Pan North African-Spiced Chicken with Roasted Carrots

Serves 2 ( I will double this recipe)

1 dried ancho chile, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 t. caraway seeds
1 t. coriander seeds
1 ½ t. cumin seeds
1 t. black peppercorns
1 ½ t. kosher salt
2 chicken leg quarters
1 T. EVOO
1 lb. carrots, cut into sticks
Zest and juice of 1 navel orange
¼ cup cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Toast the first 5 ingredients in skillet, about 5 mins. – let cool. Grind in spice grinder, mix with salt, rub on chicken.
Heat a large oven-proof skillet, add EVOO and brown chicken, turning once, about 10 mins.
Remove chicken from skillet and set aside on plate. Add carrots and 1-2 teas. o.j. to skillet, scraping up any brown bits in pan.Return chicken to skillet and put in oven; roast 30 minutes or until internal temp. of chicken is 180, and carrots are tender.
Drizzle the remaining o.j. over the chicken and carrots. Sprinkle with orange zest and cilantro before serving.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, did you use the juice and zest of the orange or did you skip it?

Lee

Johnny West

Yes, the orange juice and zest is very important and gives it a very nice flavor.

It looks like it was forgotten...

"Zest and juice of one navel orange." should be added to recipe.

We've been getting some very good oranges of late.