BANANA-NUT BREAD

Jim54

Banana-Nut Bread:

This is my mother's Banana-Nut Bread recipe. I did find this exact recipe on the NCI as a good recipe for Cancer patients. I do think that my mother added some Cinnamon but since I am going by memory and do not remember how much she used, I did not try it. I have made this many, many times and love it!

Ingredients
  1. 2 Eggs
  2. 3 Medium well-ripened bananas, cut into chunks
  3. 1/4 Cup of milk
  4. 1/4 Cup of vegetable oil
  5. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  6. 2 Cups all-purpose flour
  7. 3/4 Cups sugar
  8. 1 tsp baking powder
  9. 1/2 tsp baking soda
  10. 1/2 tsp salt
  11. 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  12. 1/2 to 1 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans, or wheat germ

Instructions
  1. Blend eggs, bananas, milk, oil, and vanilla at medium speed until smooth, about 15 min
  2. Measure flout, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg into a bowl and stir to mix
  3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Mix enough to moisten. Add nuts
  4. Spread batter into well greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan or three small 5x3x2 in pans.
  5. Place in pre-heated oven at 350F (180C) for about 1 hour for the large loaf and 35-45 min for the small loafs.

2011-PC094471DECBananaBread-1.jpg

2011-PC094512_3_4BananaBread_fused.jpg

Comments
I like to use well ripened bananas (black post on the peeling but not bruised) because they have had time to change more starches into sugars.

I fancy myself as a photographer but took the loaf picture at night without correct lighting and I could not wait to have a slice, so you have to forgive the low quality. However, I do not fancy myself as a good cook :lol:. If you look at the pictures, you will notice a dark skin on the loaf. You will also notice a crack in the picture of the loaf and a indentation in the slice (It was bigger in the middle). The loaf's center did sag after I took it out. I am not sure why. From the outward appearance, it does not look like I undercooked it. In fact, it looks like I might have over cooked it. But the sagging suggest that it was over cooked. Did I cook it at too high of a temperature? Did I put too much baking soda and/or baking powder? I thought I added the correct amount but cannot swear by it. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS. I am not sure why one picture came out bigger the the other. The large loaf picture was sized smaller than the slice!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Jim, if I'd made that loaf of banana bread, I wouldn't have worried at all about it's appearance.

I'm no baker, but it looks great to me!

Lee

Johnny West

I made this today using Marhta Stewart's recipe from her 1982 cookbook. It came out of the pan perfectly and smells wonderful.

Attachments

• #######BBII.jpg
    #######BBII.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 834

Johnny West

It tastes good, too. We got a delivery of flooring today and the guy is a trained chef taking a break from cooking to work for a friend making lumber deliveries. I gave him a piece and he loved it. I had one as well and have to say Martha knows her bread.

Johnny West

I've got one loaf in the oven and getting ready to make a second with no nuts.

Here's Martha's recipe. I don't use chocholate chips.

INGREDIENTS

1⁄4 lb unsalted butter or 1⁄4 lb unsalted margarine, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1⁄2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed very ripe banana
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, beating well.
Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with butter mixture.
Blend well.
Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.
Stir well.
Stir in the nuts and pour batter into pan.
Sprinkle with floured chocolate chips.
Bake 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean.
Turn out onto rack to cool.
Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/martha-stewarts-banana-bread-181546

Johnny West

I did this one today - it's made with mayo. I never had one raise so high - must have been the soda.I'll take it to church, Sunday, for hospitality. I'm doing a pulled pork and veg tray as well, and one of the gals is making coleslaw. I guess we have an important visitor coming.

Attachments

• #Banana Bread.jpg
    #Banana Bread.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 781

Johnny West

I made these yesterday afternoon while I was braising the beef ribs. I can't account for the burnt/dark edges but think it was from over buttering the pans. I should have used spray and didn't think of it at the time. I used Martha Stewarts recipe - didn't have sour cream so used Best mayonnaise. It was a hit - the mrs took half of one to work last night and Peter took one with him to take to his work today.

Attachments

• #Banana Nut Bread.jpg
    #Banana Nut Bread.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 796

Johnny West

I made these vegan, carrot cake banana nut bread this afternoon.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2018/03/19/carrot-cake-banana-bread/

Ingredients

2 cups white, spelt, or oat flour (I used oat flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
optional 1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cup mashed, overripe banana
1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used Trader Joe's almond, cashew, macadamia nut milk.)
1/4 cup oil OR additional milk of choice
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
optional, crushed walnuts, coconut, etc. (I used pecan.)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×5 pan, or line with parchment. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. If desired, you can add 1/2 cup crushed walnuts and/or a handful of shredded coconut. Whisk liquid ingredients—including carrot and banana—in separate bowl. Pour wet into dry, and stir to form a batter. Smooth into prepared pan. Bake on the center rack 37 minutes, then do not open the oven door at all but turn off the heat and let sit in the closed oven 10 additional minutes. If still undercooked at this time, simply turn the oven back on and continue baking—checking every 5 minutes–until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Taste and texture are much better the second day (and even better the third day as it gets sweeter). Leftovers can be sliced and frozen for up to a month. If you want to frost the bread, I included a few links to some frosting recipes above in the post, or you can use about 1/2 cup softened coconut butter—sweetened if desired.

I tried to bake 37 minutes then rest for 10 and it didn't work. The second one I baked for 42 minutes and it came out perfect.

Attachments

• 0-9 copy 6.jpg
    0-9 copy 6.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:

Johnny West

I made two more today using two different recipes.
The one on right is the gluten free loaf and very good.
The one on the left I used Betty Crocker's recipe but use
regular flour and walnuts I cracked myself. In both I used
agave syrup and avocado oil.

Attachments

• #####Banana Bread III.jpg
    #####Banana Bread III.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 721

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boy, you REALLY love banana breads, John!

I like the sounds of the carrot cake recipe.

Lee

Johnny West

I have a lot of banana need using up and will freeze the rest for later. Once they are frozen they are easier to mash. I've been trying different pale/vegan recipes but all are basically the same. I've also been experimenting with oat flour and a rice flour from Minneapolis and all are tasty. I'm not using any butter or eggs and have been using agave syrup and avocado oil. One I used peanut oil but evidently it's a no-no for paleo/whole 30. :heart: I have two loaves in the freezer that I will take to church for hospitality hour. Pumpkin bread is up next.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My neighbor knows that I don't bake, so when she makes these cute little Mini-Loaves, I get one of each to freeze and enjoy one by one....

She does a Fruitcake that, I must admit, is the best I've had. (That being said, I detested Fruitcake my whole life.) She does the whole range ; Banana, Raisin, etc. - The one pictured is Cranberry...
THX to neighbors who care !!

Cranberry Bread.jpg