Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Sauces Forum : Hot, Spicy, Dry Rub, Marinade & Salsa

Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Short Order Cook

Dogboa is on a distinguished road
Default Oscar's Rib Sauses

I worked with Oscar for several years. He did rib cooks on the side to make extra money. He cooked them "Soul Food" style with typical sides. One thing he did, as many others in several African-American communities around Ft. Lauderdale, FL that cooked this style of ribs, was to serve plain old sliced white bread with the ribs. That was totally new to me. His ribs were very popular and really good. They were not smoked, but done over charcoal briquettes, in homemade cookers. He was kind enough to give me his ingredients written out and I had to take dictation for the instructions. Anyway his rib sauces!

Oscar's Rib Sauces

For 52# of ribs

13 C Chopped Onions
3-1/4 C Vegetable Oil
13 C Tomato Sauce
6-1/2 C Water
3-1/4 C Light Brown Sugar
3-1/4 Fresh Lemon Juice
39 Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce (2 C + 7 Tbsp)
26 Tbsp Yellow Mustard (1-1/2 C + 2 Tbsp)
26 tsp Kosher Salt (8 Tbsp + 2 tsp)
3-1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Add all ingredients to a stock pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and cook to blend, about 20 minutes, stirring often. Cool. Using a blender (in small batches) or immersion blender, blend too a smooth sauce. Can be kept in fridge up to a week. You certainly can make smaller amounts.

Special Sauce for 13# of ribs

4 C Chopped Onions
3 C Chopped Celery
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 Pounds Jimmy Deans Original Sausage
5-1/2 C Tomato Sauce
5-1/4 C Ketchup
4 C Water or 2 C Water + 2-1/2 C Orange Juice
1-1/2 C Light Brown Sugar
3/4 C Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 C A1 Original Steak Sauce
1/2 C Worchestershire Sauce
6-1/2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
6-1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 C Cider Vinegar
4 C Pineapple Juice
1 C Duck Sauce
1/2 C Molasses
3-1/2 C Light Karo Syrup
1/2 C Torani Cherry Flavoring/Syrup
1/2 C Tabsco or Crystal Hot Sauce
2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper

In a stock pot heat the vegetable oil over med-high and brown the sausage, breaking it up as it browns. Remove the browned sausage, set aside draining on paper towels. Remove all but 2 Tbsp of the fat and sautee the celery and onions until soft, but not browned. Reduce heat to medium and add all other ingredients, including reserved sausage. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook until blended, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Using either a blender (in batches) or an immersion blender, blend until mostly smooth, breaking up the sausage as much as possible. Cool. Can be kept in the fridge for up to a week. You can certainly make smaller amounts.

I added the immersion blender info as they weren't readily available at the time.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,212 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oscar's Rib Sauses

I particularly love the sound of the second sauce, DB! What a combination of ingredients!

Sausage in the sauce - yum.

Lee

Tags
oscar's, rib sauces