KitchenAid 5 quart lift stand mixer

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I now have the copper bowl of my dreams and now I have to choose which 5qt kitchenaid mixer to buy. Anyone have a preference and why that one as opposed to one of the others?

Thanks for your advice, in advance.

FryBoy

You know, you can get a 6-quart Pro 600 from Amazon for $338, no tax, free shipping: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP26M1XNP-Professional-6-Quart-Nickel/dp/B0002Y5X9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235869834&sr=8-1"]CLICKY[/ame]

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I guess that you don't understand my question. I just bought an atlas copper liner for a 5 quart kitchen aid mixer and I want to know which mixer to buy so I can use it.

FryBoy

Oh. In that case, and since you're not sure, I'd take it to a store that carries various models and find one it fits. I believe the bowls on the newer models are wider and shallower than on the older ones.

Wart

Banned
If your buying a new KA make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer. I've heard about some items bought through non authorized channels could lead to warranty problems.

My experience is you will need the warranty.

gadzooks

I am a bit of a curmudgeon in more ways than one. If I were looking for a 5 qt. KA bowl lift model, I would probably buy "vintage," looking for a K5 or K5A made by Hobart.

leolady

I am a bit of a curmudgeon in more ways than one. If I were looking for a 5 qt. KA bowl lift model, I would probably buy "vintage," looking for a K5 or K5A made by Hobart.

He is again right.:thumb: But only partially!

Only the Hobart N-50, Kitchenaid model G, K5A, or the KSS of the old Hobart models will work.

You can buy the KMP50, KSM5, KSM50, KM25G0X because they have the 5 quart narrow bowl that Susan needs [according to http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KTA K5ASBP&mybuyscid=3231100375]. The other new models that are 5qts are too wide for her copper bowl insert!

Back in the day the copper bowl inserts were made, KA did not have the 5qt wider bowls!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, leolady but can you tell me where to get one? You helped me find the bowl, now how about a link to these? I really appreciate all your trouble. Thanks, PS
Only the Hobart N-50, Kitchenaid model G, K5A, or the KSS of the old Hobart models will work.

You can buy the KMP50, KSM5, KSM50, KM25G0X because they have the 5 quart narrow bowl that Susan needs [according to http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/produc...cid=3231100375]. The other new models that are 5qts are too wide for her copper bowl insert!

Back in the day the copper bowl inserts were made, KA did not have the 5qt wider bowls!

Wart

Banned

I went to auctions and sales for several years in search of a small Hobart and a restaurant range that wern't beat to death before throwing in a towel and just buying new (only reason I got the KA was because the price was way mis-marked).

gadzooks

OK, I just checked with the guy I got bowls from for my N50, and he has a little chart of what 5 qt. bowls are interchangeable, thus will fit you copper insert. He says;
N50, CM5, N5D, K5, K5A, K5ASS, KSM50, KP50.

leolady

I guess this is the one to get?
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/kit...ommercial-nsf-kitchen-aid-mixer/519KSM50.html

I just wonder if I will have the problem of it overheating in the midst of all the beating. The Hobart is just too expensive at over $2035 plus shipping, handling, insurance etc.

If you absolutely have to have a brand new mixer, and refuse to buy a Hobart then you can settle for this one.:unsure:

However, I highly recommend the Hobart over the one above. A Hobart will last the rest of your life and give the impeccable service you desire and won't bog down on heavy loads. You will have power to spare. You would be much more satisfied with the Hobart since you love to bake so much.

If you consider the price of the Hobart as an amortized investment you will see it does not "cost" as much. It would be less than $20 a month over the next 10 years -- a real bargain!

On the other hand, if you don't want to get a new Hobart, consider the used ones! I am sure in your area there are quite a few. If you find one in a restaurant supply store you can even try one out. Yes, the finish may have "patina" but that is nothing. Beauty is only skin deep.........oh yeah!:tiphat:

My Hobart repairman told me when I brought my used N-50 into his shop for a check up, that the older models are much better than the new ones. Mine was built in 1947! It still does great service at my auntie's house making pies for bake sales and servicing her large household. I bought it on Ebay over 10 years ago I think for $900 including tons of extra attachments and stuff. Nowadays you can buy a good working Hobart for between $300 to 700 on Ebay.

I have grown to love the patina of my Hobart, but if it bothers you they are easily and fairly cheaply re-painted to suit you.:a1:

Once you use a Hobart, you won't want your shiny Kitchenaid! You would rather fight than switch!:applause:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks--I will have to wait until morning to figure this out. I am too brain dead to be able to think at all at the moment.

Too much stress and worry. My mom is very fragile and delicate--although she is doing a better--she still is not eating well enough.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I will call around our local used restaurant supply places once I can catch my breath. I wonder if I can get lucky?

leolady

I think you can, I think you can!

And if you make friends with a used restaurant supply owner like I did; he will even look for one FOR you!

That's how I got a whole lot of great stuff, including my butcher block table for far less than I would have had to pay elsewhere! I bought everything from restaurant heavy duty stockpots, pans, half size sheet pans, bowls, my flatware, and tons of stuff from them for pennies on the dollar. They even let me have my old Robot Coupe R2 food processor with the attachments for $50!!!!

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
leolady and gadzooks for all your help, when I finally find one, I will have to bake and send you something special. lol

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Gee, it has shot up in price! More bidders--everyone knows a good mixer when they see one.

I like this one better than the other one. It is more complete and the seller has given more information about it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I may have to let this one go if someone breaks through my limit. It has been a good run though. lol

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Yes, I am going to let this one go. Thanks Gadz and Leo!!! I will still keep my eyes open, either at auction or I shall buy a new one.

Wart

Banned
I now understand why I wasn't aware of the N-50,

Sometime between the kitchens closing and the auction or sale they grew legs.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I now understand why I wasn't aware of the N-50,

Sometime between the kitchens closing and the auction or sale they grew legs.

I wasn't going to say that but that is what I have been told. When a restaurant or bakery closes, these things tend to walk out the door fast....as if they had their own legs and then, they jump into someone's trunk.
lol

Like I said before, wish lists are good things to have and I can keep my eyes open for the next one.

Thanks for all your help, Leo and Gadz. I appreciate it more than you know! The distraction alone was worth it.

gadzooks

I've made a nice little discovery. Another member and I have discussed KA mixers, and she mentioned the water-jacket that is available for KA bowl lift mixers, and what it is used for. They retail anywhere from $40-$55, plus shipping. I discovered that my dog's old stainless steel water bowl (flat bottom) is the perfect size for this purpose. All I need do is mount a couple of stainless steel springs on the sides, to hook onto the lugs of the mixing bowl bracket. The bowl was a buck at the thrift, and I figure the springs to be a buck or two a pop. Real buttercream icing...yowza!

Wart

Banned
I was looking through the KA accessory catalog, saw the water jacket/ice bowl. went to the kitchen, found a stainless bowl that fit just right under the KA mixing bowl.

I'm now thinking Hollandaise Sauce.