Franken-Pantry XII 03/21/2011 Let's get this party started!!!

LETHAL GTS

It seems things have fallen off a bit. So after a little discussion in the "Play with your food" forum, I decided to get things going.
I think it's safe to say that for now, we'll keep it casual and do it monthly instead of weekly until a time when we think we should increase the frequency.
So, let's have some fun and fill our loved ones tummy's with some awesome creative dishes.

For now, we are still allowing members to post multiple times, but not in a row. See Rule #2 please.

The “Wild Card” is still in play and up for grabs if someone wants to enter it. See Rule #3 please.

The first order of business is to stock the Pantry with 10 ingredients. So each person should post an ingredient that goes into the Pantry. Once there are 10 ingredients, the Pantry is full, and cooking can commence.

And, we have a 5 item Spice Rack to fill.

The Rules

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.

2. You can post multiple times, but not in a row. If you post an ingredient, you have to wait until someone else posts another ingredient before you can post again. If the Spice Rack is still open, you are allowed to post multiple times to it, but again, not in a row.

3. It is possible for each Pantry (from here forward) to have a Wild Card if someone suggests it as an item. Once it has been added, that’s it; only one Wild Card per Pantry. A Wild Card is just that, a singular item you can pick of your choice. So if you’re cooking from a Pantry with a Wild Card, and there is no flour, but you really need it for your dish, then the Wild Card becomes flour for you.

The Wild Card is a singular ingredient, but can be different for each recipe/meal/entry you cook and post. So if you do meat and gravy and need flour, Wild Card = Flour for that recipe. Then a day or two later you make a quiche and you need eggs, then the Wild Card = Eggs for that particular recipe.

Note that the Wild Card is always a singular ingredient of your choice per recipe/meal that you post and enter to the Pantry. So you can't post a meal/entry with multiple Wild Cards such as saying you used a Wild Card of flour for the "Gravy Smothered Cube Steaks", and then you also used a new Wild Card of Pasta for the side dish of Grown Up Mac & Cheese in the same meal/entry. So while you did make two recipes for the meal (Meat Recipe and Side Recipe) you aren't allowed to use two Wild Cards in the same meal/entry. One Wild Card per posted recipe/entry/meal.

A Pantry will only have a Wild Card IF someone suggests it for their turn. If it is not suggested, then it does not exist in that Pantry. If you use the Wild Card, please include what the Wild Card was for you in the write up of your dish.

4. Spice Rack! There is a 5 slot Spice Rack in the Pantry. Naturally, it has to be filled. As always, members are only allowed one post per Pantry - BUT, if the Spice Rack is not full, then you can also add something to it as well. For example: Bread - Cumin. That is a Pantry entry of Bread, and a Spice Rack entry of Cumin. The first 5 members to post a spice are counted - once we have 5 spices in the rack, the Spice Rack is full.

5. About the Spice Rack - Any “spice” is acceptable as long as it is a verified product, spice, or herb. For example: McCormick’s Italian Seasoning, or Seasoned Salt, or Creole Seasoning. Those are all blends, but they are also a singular and unified product. If you mean for a blend to be included, please include Brand & Product name. While everyone may not be able to find that particular brand name, we may be able to find a store brand alternative - and that is acceptable as long as the mix is the same. Sorry - but if someone posts Italian Seasoning, then you have to use a jar of Italian Seasoning (labeled clearly on the product). You can’t deconstruct it and use fresh Basil, Oregano, and Thyme. You have to use the BLEND spice that was posted. Hopefully, we’ll all post things that others can find, but, up until now, all we had was Salt & Pepper unless specifically posted, and we’ve done exceptionally well!

6. You can post items that were posted in previous Franken-Pantries.

7. Derivatives of an item can not be used, but can be made for use. For example, if wine is listed, you can’t just use “wine vinegar”. If cream is listed, you can’t just use butter, but you can MAKE butter or vinegar if you like.

8. Once 10 items have been posted, the Pantry will be locked and recipes can be made using as many or as few of the items from the 10 in the Pantry. But, other than the 4 staples (Salt, Pepper, Water, & Oil), you can ONLY use items in the Pantry. So if flour isn't listed, then you can't use it. Same goes for spices, if Cumin or Thyme aren’t listed, then you can't use them.

9. This mysterious Pantry has a walk-in cooler, so perishables like beef, chicken, crab, fish, milk, eggs, cream, butter, etc, can be posted.

10. Entries can be “open” or “restricted”. If you post “openly” such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, all cuts are assumed available. Open entries are something of an Iron Chef category, so if multiple versions of an item exist, they will be in the Pantry. Alternatively, you CAN post restrictively such as “crab” or “steak”, but the Pantry would be more accessible if you instead posted openly such as “crustacean” or “beef” - something to think about and it’s ultimately up to you.

11. Each “open” Pantry entry is something of a category unto itself. For example, if onion is posted, then any onion will be available: red, yellow, Vidalia, Spanish, pearl, shallot, scallion, etc. Imagine the pantry as an Iron Chef type room. In the spot where potatoes (open entry) are stored, all potatoes are there, Idaho, Russet, Red, Fingerling, Dried Potato Flakes, etc. But NOT sweet potatoes as that is a different animal (in a savory sense).

12. If you mean for an item to be restrictive, then please make note of that such as “Idaho Potato (restricted)” or “Chuck Roast (restricted)”. In doing that, the entry is limited to only Idaho Potatoes and no other kind of potato, and only Chuck Roast will be available, but no other cut of beef. If you don’t specifically list “restricted” in your entry, then the entry will be assumed open if multiple variations are available.

13. There's really no time limit for cooking from a Franken-Pantry. If you get around to making something, then post what you did. A month from now, someone may bump into this thread and want to cook from this pantry, so go ahead.

14. Cooking method is entirely up to you. Grill it, bake it, steam it, boil it, microwave it, serve it raw, etc.

15. Each Franken-Pantry is a stand alone Pantry. You can revisit any previous thread and cook something in THAT Pantry, but you can not bring items from one Pantry to another.

16. It's just for fun! That is the reason each open entry includes all variations of the entry such as “potato” means all potatoes, and “beef” means all cuts of beef. While Franken-Pantry is restrictive to 10 ingredients, it still strives to be approachable while also challenging you to put your thinking cap on.

So, start posting the ingredients you want or need in this Franken-Pantry. Don’t forget that if the Spice Rack is open, you can add a spice to it!! I’ll start off, but I will not post a spice. The Spice Rack is fully open with 5 slots.

Please note that the addition of the spice rack does not nullify the staples. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are always available no matter what is in the Pantry or Spice Rack.

Franken-Pantry X

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

---- Spice Rack ----

LETHAL GTS

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence

LETHAL GTS

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
2. Italian Sausage (any kind)

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Rosemary

LETHAL GTS

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)

I did not know that Herbs De Provence =

• 3 Tablespoons dried marjoram
  • 3 Tablespoons dried thyme
  • 3 Tablespoons dried savory
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
So therefore I retract my Rosemary and will replace it with Cumin.

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lethal!!!! Reps to you.
I am away from my desk & computer for work most of this week so I'll be scarce around here. Sure is GREAT to see you picking up the ball and running with this. :tiphat: I sure do appreciate it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)
4. Wild Card

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, the spice rack is full! We just need a few more ingredients for the pantry. I've already added 2 ingredients to the pantry so I didn't want to jump in with more if someone else would like to contribute. Anyone?????

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)
4. Wild Card
5. Cheese
6. Bread
7. Pork

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)
4. Basil
5. Coriander (ground)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ooooo, that sounds good!

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)
4. Wild Card
5. Cheese
6. Bread
7. Pork
8. Spinach

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)
4. Basil
5. Coriander (ground)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, let's finish this thing up. How about onions! Now we just need one more.....Karen?

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)
4. Wild Card
5. Cheese
6. Bread
7. Pork
8. Spinach
9. Onions

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)
4. Basil
5. Coriander (ground)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I guess that does it. Let's cook!!!!!!!!! :cooking:

So, I guess we're going to do these monthly? Should we run this first one until the end of April and begin a new one May 1st? Or, should we run this first one until the end of March and then start a new on April 1st? What do y'all think?

Franken-Pantry XII

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Tomatoes
3. Potatoes (any kind)
4. Wild Card
5. Cheese
6. Bread
7. Pork
8. Spinach
9. Onions
10. Bouillon/Broth

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Herbs De Provence
2. Cumin
3. Garlic (any kind)
4. Basil
5. Coriander (ground)

LETHAL GTS

Thanks all!
Let's keep up the good work.
If we all continue to contribute to and edit and update, then it won't consume one persons time.
Happy cooking all!
Oh and I don't know about the rest of you, but regardless of the quality. Pictures are always a welcome sight.

PS Why don't we run this one till the end of April.
That way it will give some of those that have not seen this thread yet time to jump in and get back on the wagon so to speak.
Just my 2cents.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, here's my entry:

This was a double challenge for me because, as many of you know, I've been using Weight Watchers to lose some weight so I wanted to keep this to a reasonable amount of points. It turned out to be 11 :clap:

I grilled some pork chops seasoned with salt and pepper.

For the potatoes, I boiled some potatoes in some salted water. While the potatoes were cooking, I sprayed a skillet with non-stick cooking spray, slowly sauteed some onions and garlic, added some fresh spinach and a little chicken broth and wilted the spinach until the liquid was gone. I then drained the potatoes and mashed with some cream cheese (fat free) and a little chicken broth. I mixed in the spinach mixture and some pepper. I put it all in a casserole dish that had been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, topped with mozzarella cheese (I used weight watches string cheese). baked at 350° F until the cheese melted and began to brown.

For the tomato, I took a couple of slice of multigrain bread and processed it in the food processor until it was a course crumb. I added in a little parmesan cheese, Herbs de Provence, garlic and some Oilve Oil. I put the bread crumb mixture on a baking sheet and put in a 450° F oven and baked for a few minutes until they began to brown. I cut the tomato in half, topped with salt and pepper, a little mozzarella cheese (again, I used WW string cheese) and some of the bread crumb mixture. I grilled until the tomato was soft but still somewhat firm. Since I still had the wildcard, I topped the tomato with a sprig of parsley to garnish :biggrin:

Everything turned out pretty well. This is such a fun challenge!

Attachments

• dinner03242011.jpg
    dinner03242011.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • spinach-mashed-potatoes.jpg
    spinach-mashed-potatoes.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • grilled-augratin-tomato.jpg
    grilled-augratin-tomato.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,025

Cuisinette

:applause:Exquisite! Mama, I shall keep this one for a special dinner.

I have a question about the wild card... could I use dough (say, pillsbury pie dough)?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, Mama! You hit it right out the ballpark. That looks delicious, and you've been exquisitely creative. Congratulations.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all!

The way that I understand it, Cuisinette, you can use the wild card for ANY single item you want. A pre-made dough would qualify. You can't take several ingredients and make something, say a pie dough, though, and call it your wild card.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yes, mama's right. Keltin and I went round and round about that one time, because I can't buy premade pie dough here. I lost. We gotta keep this thing on the up and up!:chef::smile::chef:

Cuisinette

That's why I asked. I have ready made dough and I wanted to use it as a wild card.

Thank you both, I will bring my contribution to this thread.
Can't wait.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Woo-Hoo! I’m loving that Franken Pantry is back! LOVE IT!

And I like the idea that it is a month long. Nice!

This pantry rocks. I can cook out of this one all month and never get bored. Great stuff. Nice work guys!

So, for my first entry into this wonderful pantry, I offer:

Pork Chop Fried in Bread Crumbs with Stuffed Tomato, Twice Baked Potato, and Bacon & Garlic Sautéed Spinach.

First, cook some bacon and set aside, save bacon grease!

Bread Crumb Pork Chop
Take some old bread, cut it into cubes, drizzled in oil, and then baked till crunchy. Cool down, then run through a food processor along with Herbs de Province for flavored bread crumbs. Dip the chops in chicken broth (from bouillon cubes) and then dip in bread crumbs. Fry till done, about 4 minutes per side.

Stuffed Tomato
Cook rice (wild card) in water with chicken broth (from bouillon). Once done, drain and set aside. Chop onion and set aside. Break Italian sausage out of casing and crumble. In a pan, sauté crumbled Italian Sausage till done. Drain. Add cooked rice and chopped onion to sausage till warm. Cover and set aside.

Cut top from tomato and scoop out the insides. Stuff with rice mixture and bake at 400 till bubbly and tomato is soft. Top with cheese and bake 5 minutes more. Set aside.

Twice Baked Potato
Do this: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13186

Now load the mash with crumbled bacon, cheese, chives (onion), and a touch of chicken stock (from bouillon). Mash well and load the potato. Bake till browning as shown in link above.

Spinach Sautéed with Bacon and Garlic
In a large pan, add some bacon grease. Once hot, add minced garlic. Stir on medium high heat till fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add fresh spinach. Sauté till soft. About 2 minutes. Serve.

step1-85.jpg

step2-79.jpg

step3-71.jpg

step4-57.jpg

step5-47.jpg

step6-37.jpg

step7-31.jpg

step8-24.jpg

step9-16.jpg

step9a-7.jpg

step9b-3.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, beautiful plate, Keltin. Welcome back! Franken Pantry just isn't this same without you.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, beautiful plate, Keltin. Welcome back! Franken Pantry just isn't this same without you.

Thanks Karen! Dad always said the biggest commodity is time. Never got that when I was 16, but now, I’m finally seeing his point full on!! :yum:

It’s good to see you and the rest of the gang still here, and a big round of applause should go out to LethatGTS for getting Franken Pantry going again.

And I have to admit, this pantry is awesome! I can cook from this for quite some time!! Great job all!!! :clap: