Mini Caprese Appetizers

SilverSage

Resident Crone
QSis, since you seem to be looking for appetizers lately, I thouhgt I'd pos tone of my 'Old Faithfuls'. This is SOOOOOOO easy!

Cut cherry or grape tomatoes in half. Cut fresh mozzarella into cubes. Get small basil leaves or tear larger ones in pieces.

With a frilly toothpick, skewer first a basil leaf, then a cheese cube, the a tomato half. Arrange them on a plate, then lightly drizzle a good balsamic vinaigrette around them.

It's like a bite-sized caprese salad.

Attachments

• caprese minis 4 - Copy.jpg
    caprese minis 4 - Copy.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 495

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Look at that! Caprese is my absolute favorite salad and since I managed to snag a couple of bottles of fantastic balsamic vinegar, I make it a lot. But I have trouble here finding the larger tomatoes that taste like tomatoes. I buy cherry tomatoes frequently because they are consistently good. Why I never thought to do this before is beyond me. Thanks a million, SS.

Deelady

I have made these several times for parties and LOVE them! Only difference with mine is I use the small mozzarella balls...what are they called...boconccini? That way less chopping ;)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT!!!!!

I've got basil, QBro is shopping and cherry tomatoes are on his list. I will pick up some mozz. tonight after work!!

Brilliant, SS and Dee!

Lee

GotGarlic

I've done this with slices of roma tomatoes, as well. I try to use small leaves of basil, so I don't have to cut them, since they turn brown soon after cutting. The bocconcini are a great idea :smile:

buckytom

Grill Master
great idea, ss. :chef: i need to remeber this one for summer picnics.

this reminds me of one of my old appys, mini bloody marys. you skin cherry tomatoes, then soak them in chilled vodka overnight.

just before serving, they get toothpicked then sprinkled with a little celery seed,black pepper, grated horseradish, and are doused with worcestershire.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just bought some mozzarella string cheese sticks! They will be nice circles when I cut them to make these appetizers!

BT, I made Bloody Marys on a Stick years ago, but didn't skin them or soak them in vodka overnight. They didn't go over well with my guests.

Your way sounds a lot better, so I may try them again with my own cherry or grape tomatoes this summer.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
I do something similar with the small mozz balls. Cut the cheese and tomatoes in half, assemble on a toothpick to make a ball, one half tomato and the other half cheese with a basil leaf sandwiched in the middle. Drizzle with evoo. Emerils idea, great presentation.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do something similar with the small mozz balls. Cut the cheese and tomatoes in half, assemble on a toothpick to make a ball, one half tomato and the other half cheese with a basil leaf sandwiched in the middle. Drizzle with evoo. Emerils idea, great presentation.

Oh man, I love that one, too!!!

Maybe I'll plant TWO cherry tomato plants this summer instead of one!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hee!!!!

Cut a little slice off the bottoms, so they would sit nicely.

Drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh groung pepper.

DEE - licious!

Lee

P.S. I didn't realize that the pretty plate was beveled, so the appetizers kept sliding to the center.

Attachments

• Tomato appetizers.JPG
    Tomato appetizers.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 641

buckytom

Grill Master
nice job on the caprecinos.

BT, I made Bloody Marys on a Stick years ago, but didn't skin them or soak them in vodka overnight. They didn't go over well with my guests.

Your way sounds a lot better, so I may try them again with my own cherry or grape tomatoes this summer.

Lee

i found they can be kinda strongly flavored with vodka, so you really need to get the worcestershire and horseradish into them to round it out a bit. even so, it's appy for alcy's.

hmm, maybe reducing the worcestershire into a syrup would work better, as you would do with balsamic vinegar.